Cherry Chipotle Salad
Cherry Chipotle Salad is an explosion of flavor. It starts with the sweetness of the cherries and finishes with a chipotle kick. It's a great make-ahead dish.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 35 mins
- 1 cup bulgur wheat I used coarse #3
- 14.5 oz black beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups corn I used frozen roasted corn
- 1/2 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup scallions white and green parts sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup dried whole cherries 4.2 oz pkg
- 1/4 cup chipotle paste*
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Chipotle paste Ingredients
- 2 Chipotle Chilies in Adobo 3 for extra spice
- 3 tbsp olive oil vegetable or canola is fine too
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp diced onion
- Fresh cilantro I use the stems for the and the leaves for salad
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Zest of 1 lime optional
Bring 2 cups of water and 1 cup of bulgur to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain if necessary. Set aside and allow to cool.
Combine chipotle paste ingredients and process in a blender or food processor until thick.
Mix cooked bulgur, oil, lime juice, and chipotle paste together. Stir until combined.
Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to one week.
You can use rice or another whole grain instead of bulgur wheat.
It's easier to mix this salad together in two stages as instructed.
Add additional chipotle paste if you like it spicier.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 575mg | Potassium: 427mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1195IU | Vitamin C: 6.3mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2.6mg