Shrimp, Duck and Andouille Gumbo
Authentic Gumbo is a traditional southern soup or stew. Gumbo ingredients such as Shrimp, Duck, and Andouille make a warm delicious Gumbo perfect for any Mardi Gras celebration!
Prep Time 30 mins
Cook Time 2 hrs
Total Time 2 hrs 30 mins
- 1 whole duck or two duck breasts, you can substitute chicken
- 2 lbs andouille sausage sliced
- 2 lbs shrimp medium-sized
- 1 yellow onion large diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 10 oz frozen cut okra thawed
- 10 oz diced tomatoes with green chilis RoTel
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp file gumbo seasoning
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or more for additional heat
- 1/2 tsp thyme fresh or dried
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup uncooked rice cooked according to package directions.
Roast duck or duck breasts, reserving fat. Allow to cool and dice into bite-sized pieces. Refrigerate until use.
Add 2 tablespoons of duck fat to a dutch oven or saucepan. Add andouille sausage and brown. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon to drain. Add 1/4 cup duck fat to the pan and 1/3 cup of flour to make a roux. Cook over low heat, whisking continuously, until it darkens to the color of peanut butter, approximately 30 minutes. Add additional fat or butter if necessary. Add onions, celery and green pepper and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
While the roux cooks, in a separate skillet, add 2 tablespoons of duck fat. Add okra and vinegar. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
In a large stock pot or dutch oven, add chicken broth, water, spices, bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Add the vegetables, sausage, and duck. Simmer uncovered. until heated through. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Refrigerate overnight. Skim fat from the top and reheat. When hot, add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
Serve over rice.
Calories: 708kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 309mg | Sodium: 1660mg | Potassium: 843mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 9.6% | Vitamin C: 27.8% | Calcium: 17.3% | Iron: 29.4%