Poblano Pork Stew over Tomatillo Rice
Poblano Pork Stew over Tomatillo Rice is rich in flavor and has a deliciously warm kick. You can make it in the crockpot or on top of the stove.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 2 hrs
Total Time 2 hrs 20 mins
- 3-4 lb pork butt shoulder cubed into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion large
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups poblano peppers diced approximately 4 peppers
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Mexican oregano
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 28 oz tomatillos can, pureed. *Reserve 1-1/2 cups for rice
- 14.5 oz diced fire roasted tomatoes with juice
- 32 oz chicken stock divided. *Reserve 1 cup for rice
- 2 cups roasted corn measured not 16 oz (Can use unroasted corn)
- 15 oz black beans
- Fresh cilantro
- Garnishes of choice such as avocado tomato, cilantro, cheese.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups tomatillos pureed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp butter
- Tortilla Straws
- 2 tortilla shells (raw) I love tortilla land brand
- Ancho chili powder
- Non-stick cooking spray or oil
Puree tomatillos with juice. Measure out 1 1/2 cups and set aside.
Drizzle a large (7 - 9 quart) dutch oven or stock pot with olive oil. Heat over medium-high and cook cubed pork in batches. Salt and pepper each batch. Be sure not to crowd. Brown each side and transfer to a plate or bowl.
Add additional olive oil if necessary and brown onions and poblano peppers (about 5 minutes). When slightly softened, add garlic, ancho chili powder, cumin and Mexican oregano. Cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Add pork back to the pan and add pureed tomatillos (*all but 1 1/2 cups) chicken stock (*all but 1 cup), and diced tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer for 1 hour. Add corn and beans and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray both sides of each tortilla with non-stick cooking spray or brush with oil. Sprinkle with ancho chili powder and salt. Cut into strips (a pizza cutter works great). Place tortilla strips on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
Serve Poblano Pork Stew over rice. Top with garnishes and tortilla straws.
Calories: 343kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 284mg | Potassium: 962mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 555IU | Vitamin C: 31.4mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 4mg