Cranberry Upside-Down Cake is soft and tender. The cake tastes like sweet cream which is a great contrast to the tartness of the cranberries. It’s a great way to launch #CranberryWeek!
Cranberries are such an underutilized fruit. It used to be that most households would buy a bag of cranberries (or can) for Thanksgiving. They were always made into a sauce or salad in my house. If only I’d had this Cranberry Upside-Down Cake.
Our use of cranberries is much better today. I put dried cranberries in salads, oatmeal, trail mix, and granola. I still don’t buy and use fresh or frozen whole cranberries except at Thanksgiving. After all of the cranberry recipes being published this week, there may be a shortage by the time we get to Thanksgiving.
Cranberry Upside-Down Cake may change that in this house. I can’t tell you how delicious this cake is. It’s so soft and tender. It tastes like sweet cream and is a wonderful contrast to the tartness of the cranberries. It’s going to become one of our regular favorites.
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
Cranberry Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups whole cranberries fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 tbsp of seedless red raspberry or red plum jelly/jam
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with a 9-inch parchment paper round and then spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter for the topping. Add remaining topping ingredients. Cook over a medium heat until cranberries begin to soften, approximately 3 minutes. Strain cranberries from the juice. Put cranberries into the bottom of the prepared cake pan in a single layer. Return 1/2 cup of juice to the saucepan. Discard the rest. (I only had 1/2 cup of juice so used all of it. Continue cooking until thickened, approximately 5 minutes. Once thickened spread the sauce over the cranberries. Refrigerate while you prepare the cake.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add vanilla and then egg yolks one at a time. Mix until well combined.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and heavy cream, beating on low speed just until combined.
- In a small mixing bowl add egg whites and cream of tarter. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites gently into cake batter.
- Gently spoon batter over cranberries, smoothing the top out evenly.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes until top is browned and center springs back. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a paring knife around the edge of the pan and invert the cake onto a serving plate. Remove the parchment paper carefully. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Welcome to #CranberryWeek, hosted by Caroline’s Cooking and A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. We’ll be sharing cranberry-inspired creations all week long in celebration of national cranberry day. Search #CranberryWeek to keep up to date and follow the #CranberryWeek Pinterest board for more cranberry inspiration. But first, see all the other cranberry recipes being shared today:
- Cranberry-Apple Sauce from The Chef Next Door
- Cranberry Maple Delicata Squash Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Cranberry Palmiers from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Cranberry Rosemary Cornbread from Life Currents
- Cranberry Snack Cake from Cooking With Carlee
- Cranberry Upside Down Cake from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Noreaster from Family Around The Table
- Pork Shashlyk and Tkemali from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cranberries from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Brisket from Palatable Pastime
- Stuffed Endive with Blue Cheese, Walnuts & Cranberries from Full Belly Sisters
- Upsidedown Cranberry Cake from Hostess At Heart