A bowl of Steel Cut Oats is a healthy delicious way to start your day. It will keep you satisfied all morning long.
Steel Cut Oats may not be as glamorous of a recipe as maybe my Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake, but it is a recipe that I make a lot, and probably enjoy as much as any other breakfast item that I make.
I really enjoy food, and I feel great when I have a wholesome breakfast. When I start my day off right, I tend to make better choices throughout my day.
We just celebrated Thanksgiving, and after making and eating Shari’s Chocolate pie from Cook AZ I do, I knew that I needed to eat well to stave off the temptations of all of the goodies that will be coming my way until Christmas.
I have posted some baked oatmeal recipes that use old-fashioned oats. This recipe uses steel cut oats. Steel Cut Oats are whole oat groats that have been cut into little pieces on a steel buhr mill. They are high in protein and fiber, and you can dress them up any way you like.
Steel Cut Oats
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3-1/2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk your choice or can substitute with additional water.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toppings of your choice
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Add the steel cut oats and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 30 minutes or until oats start to thicken. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the milk and vanilla. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- You can add the toppings at this point to the pan, but I add them just to my bowl. I am reserving the choice to eat it with different variations.
To the finished cooked oats, I add a few toasted pecans, 1 teaspoon of Splenda brown sugar blend, and a few raisins. Sometimes I will put in a bit of cinnamon or apple pie spice. I am including the nutritional information showing the basic oats made with unsweetened almond milk, and the oats with the toppings I used.
When this oatmeal cools a bit, I put it in 4 separate containers so I have breakfast for the next 4 days. I’ll splash a bit of milk over the oatmeal and heat it in the microwave. Then I will add the toppings that I want that day.
If you need another delicious healthy breakfast, Cinnamon Apple Baked Oatmeal is amazing!