A quick and easy delicious Healthy Chicken Gyro recipe. You can either stuff the ingredients into a pita or make a yummy Greek salad. Gyros make a great lunch or dinner!
You remember my Pita Bread recipe don’t you? The one that had me high fiving myself and doing a happy dance? I made those pitas so I could make this delicious Chicken Gyro recipe. Talk about an easy peasy dinner!
I don’t know what exactly goes into that cone of meat that you see in Greek restaurants. It’s delicious, but maybe I am better off not knowing. So, when Debbie of The Mountain Kitchen posted her Chicken Gyros, I knew that we would love them. We often go out for gyros for lunch on our summer Saturdays. They don’t leave us feeling heavy or in a food coma.
Debbie prepared her Gyros in 30 minutes. I had a little more time so in addition to marinating the vegetables as she did, I also marinated my chicken for a little longer. Debbie had said the longer the better. The other change that I made was her dressing calls for an equal amount of vinegar to oil. I used 1/2 part vinegar to 1 part oil. Lastly, I had some tzatziki that I put inside my pita before adding the ingredients. I’m writing up my recipe instructions, but please visit Debbie for a look at all of her amazing recipes.
- 1 skinless boneless chicken breast sliced thin
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1/4 sweet onion sliced thinly
- 12 Kalamata olives halved
- 2 cups lettuce shredded
- 4 pieces of Pita Bread sliced in half
- Feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1-1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1-1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1-1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Prepare the dressing by combining all ingredients into a jar or salad cruet. Shake to combine.
- Combine tomatoes, cucumber, onion and olives in a ziplock bag and drizzle lightly with Greek dressing. Refrigerate 30 minutes or longer.
- Place sliced chicken in another ziplock bag and drizzle lightly with Greek dressing. Refrigerate 30 minutes or longer.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy skillet. Add chicken and cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Set aside and keep warm.
- Drain marinade from vegetables and add to chopped lettuce.
- Build Gyro by placing marinated vegetable lettuce mixture in the pita bread. Add chicken and top with Feta cheese.
- Serve immediately.