This Organic Honey Whole Grain Bread Recipe makes a delicious hearty loaf that is soft and tender with a sweet nutty flavor. It’s an easy bread to make and a little healthier for you and your family.
Have you made any resolutions yet? If you made one to eat a little bit better, you’re going to love this Organic Honey Whole Grain Bread Recipe!
The holidays are behind us once again, and it’s time for this month’s BreadBaker’s group event. Our host this month is the very talented Pavani, the creator behind Cook’s Hideout. Pavani very appropriately chose our theme this month, “Start the new year with a healthy Bread”.
I love making bread with so many mixins. By mixins, I mean nuts, spices, fruits, seeds, the list goes on. I guess I just can’t leave well enough alone.
Question, what does “well enough” mean? What if someone never put cinnamon and sugar in the humble roll? Where would we be without cinnamon rolls!
In this recipe, I used my own Whole Grain Blend that I recently shared. This blend resembles one that I used to buy.
I also wanted to use whole grain flours. Wheat is amazing but last year I experimented a lot with spelt. Both as flour for baking bread and the actual grain in our dinner dishes. We really love it.
Other spelt recipes you may enjoy
Our most popular bread recipes
- Overnight Sourdough Bread
- Italian Bread Recipe
- Medianoche Bread
- Cherry Bread
- Brown Bread Rolls
- Star Bread
Some people think that bread that’s good for you tastes like cardboard. Not this one, it is one slightly sweet nutty loaf using only whole grains and no refined sugar.
It’s a hearty loaf that would probably take over if used in a sandwich unless sliced thin. I served it with some homemade soup and we loved it.
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Organic Honey Whole Grain Bread Recipe
- In a small bowl or the bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine honey, vegetable oil, yeast and warm water. Let sit while you combine dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup spelt flour, salt, organic whole grain bread blend and hemp hearts. Whisk to combine.
- If using an electric stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix wet ingredients together. On low, gradually add dry ingredients. Add additional spelt flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. The dough will be wet but not overly sticky. Continue to mix for 4 minutes.
- Oil a large bowl and pat the dough into a ball. Put into the bowl turning once to oil both sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place the bowl in a warm area. Also to rise until doubled, approximately 1-1/2 hours.
- Shape into a sandwich loaf and put the dough into a 9×5 oiled loaf pan. Spray or brush the top lightly with oil. Cover the dough until it just peaks the pan, approximately 1 hour.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap and bake in a 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes or until dough measures 185°F to 190°F with an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove bread from the pan immediately and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack before cutting.
This bread is a regular at my house. Here are a few more that I bake on a regular basis!
Check out the Healthy Bread that our fellow #BreadBakers have baked this month:
- Beet Rye Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Brain Booster Pancakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Eggless Whole Wheat Brioche Buns from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Grain-free Nutty Carrot Flatbread from A Baker’s House
- Healthier Applesauce Spice Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy Whole Grain Bread from The Bread She Bakes
- Honey Almond Brioche from Kidsandchic
- Honey Oatmeal Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Multigrain Pesto Swirl Bread from Herbivore Cucina
- Oatmeal Crispbread (Oatmeal Knäckebröd) from Baking Sense
- Organic Honey Whole Grain Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Sprouted Wheat Bread from Palatable Pastime
- Sweet Potato Bread with Honey from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sweet Potato Millet Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Ten Grain No Knead Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Whole Wheat White Bean Bread from Cooks Hideout
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to [email protected].
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!