The color of this Lemon Olive Oil Lemon Cake is gorgeous, the smell is amazing, and best of all, it’s easy to put together. It tastes like summer all year long.
Lemons are one of those gifts that we have in the winter time that remind us that not everything is blah and colorless! One whiff of lemon and I feel renewed! One taste of Olive Oil Lemon Cake and it takes me back to summer and sunshine.
I have had a life-long love affair with lemons. They are so versatile and there are many uses for them.
- Household and Cleaning – Clean and disinfect cutting boards and other wooden tools, deodorize plastic containers, and polish stainless steel to name a few.
- Beauty and Health – Works as a deodorant, replaces bleach in the washer, removes mildew, soothes sore throats and sanitizes jewelry.
- Food and Drink – Wash produce, refresh aging lettuce, preserve fruit and veggies, and lower salt intake.
- Pets, garden and more – spraying surface acts as a repellent to cats, naturally kills weeds, deodorizes humidifiers, and repels ants and other pests.
My favorite is the food and beverage uses. Go figure! I love slicing a lemon into a pitcher of water. I also love cooking and baking with lemon. Chicken and lemon is a marriage made in heaven. And then….drum roll pounding on counter….desserts. puddings, cakes, pies, muffins. Oh stop already I know you get the point. I love lemon.
One afternoon my daughter and I went into Sur La Table. This is a kitchen gadget store that I visit once in a while just because. On this particular day they were having a sale on Marca Verde olive oil, and handing out samples of a baked lemon olive oil cake. What? Olive oil in cake? I had never heard of it, but one measly little bite later and I was in love. I grabbed a copy of the recipe and left.[Tweet “Olive Oil Lemon Cake #recipe @Sur_La_Table”]
I couldn’t stop thinking about this cake. It was so fresh and delicious. I went back a couple days later and bought the olive oil. I waited two whole days. No obsessive compulsive behaviors here. I put this wonderful cake together and knew I had to share it.
I have seen some other recipes baked with olive oil lately, and I won’t be afraid to try them. I hope you will not be afraid to try this cake. It has a great lemon flavor and is tender and not overly sweet. The color is gorgeous, the smell was amazing, and best of all, it’s not difficult to put together.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon microplane or finely grated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil I used Marca Verde brand
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 cake pan or a 8 cup bundt pan with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine cake ingredients and beat until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 50 minutes until dark and golden brown. While cake is in the oven, combine glaze ingredients. Whisk to blend.
- Remove cake from oven. Whisk glaze mixture again, and carefully spoon 1/2 of the glaze over the cake. Loosen the edges of the cake and turn out onto a serving plate. Slowly drizzle remaining glaze over cake. Allow to cool.
Recipe adapted from Sur La Table