Baked Turkey Meatballs with Green Chiles are perfect as an appetizer, topping a southwest salad or even stuffed in a hoagie. They’re perfect for any time of year but especially tailgating!
There are so many activities this time of year and that makes it especially important to relax with friends. Sports are a great excuse to do that and these Baked Turkey Meatballs with Green Chiles are perfect as a tailgating treat.
Ground turkey is a great lean option for when I make anything where I normally use ground beef. The thing is they can be pretty flavorless unless you add some spices. I learned that lesson when I made my Turkey Sloppy Joes. After a couple of tries, they are now my go-to Sloppy Joe recipe.
I wanted these meatballs spicy so I used a homemade taco seasoning and some green chiles. John loves food a lot spicier than I do. When food is too spicy I think the flavor is replaced with heat. He just thinks I’m just a wimp. I originally made these with turkey sausage but the sausage spices just took over and none of my other flavors came through. They were delicious for breakfast but not what I was looking for here.
These meatballs came out delicious. Best of all they can be mixed and baked in under 30 minutes so they’re perfect when you need something on short notice. They are good cold or can be baked in a jiffy and then thrown into a slow-cooker to keep warm which makes them a great make and take appetizer too. While they don’t need a sauce, a side of salsa or cheese dip would be yummy too.
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
Baked Turkey Meatballs with Green Chiles Recipe
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs plain or seasoned
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese grated
- 1 4 oz can green chiles mild or hot undrained
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1//2 tsp Mexican oregano dried
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne 1/2 for spicier
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with foil. Spray liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients together and mix to blend. Roll into 1 tablespoon sized balls and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until meatballs registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
It’s no secret that I’m a snacker and can live on appetizers. October is “Tailgating” month organized by Debi from Life Currents. I don’t know how she does it because it would be like herding a bunch of cats. Well, I’m one of those cats and let’s see what the others brought too!
October is Tailgating Snacks Month 2017
Hosted by Life Currents
- October 12 Chili Relleno Dip Skillet by Take Two Tapas
- October 14 Soft Pretzel Beer Cheese Dip by Mildly Meandering
- October 14 Healthier Greek Yogurt Buffalo Chicken Dip by Full Belly Sisters
- October 16 Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce by Life Currents
- October 18 Low Sugar Chicken Meatball Parmesan Sliders by Seduction In The Kitchen
- October 20 Sofritas Chipotle Potato Skins by Bowl Me Over
- October 22 Loaded Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Dip by Who Needs A Cape?
- October 23 Easy Tortilla Pinwheels by The Devilish Dish
- October 24 Philly Cheese Steak Dip by An Affair from the Heart
- October 24 Touchdown Chorizo Queso Dip by LeMoine Family Kitchen
- October 25 Baked Turkey Meatballs with Green Chiles Recipe by Hostess At Heart
If these aren’t enough, here’s a few more recipes that are tailgating worthy!
Pin it now!