Mexican Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce recipe is easy and makes some delicious meatballs. The sauce adds a nice subtle kick without overwhelming heat.
I can eat Mexican food any day of the week. Mexican Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce recipe is perfect as a main dish or an appetizer. Making them in the crockpot make them perfect for hands-off serving and a great dish to make and take!
Growing up we had a regular diet of meat and potatoes. Living in a rural community, my parents would most likely have a side of beef or pork in the freezer and a 100-pound sack of potatoes in the cellar.[Tweet “Mexican Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce #recipe”]
Our meals weren’t fancy, but everything was old-fashioned good and simple. Today our favorites are so much more than meat and potatoes. We love trying different ethnic foods, and the great thing about being a food blogger is that I get to see so many great dishes from all over the world. Those simple ingredients show up in so many cuisines and courses.
I made this recipe for a party that we attended as an appetizer. These Mexican meatballs in Chipotle sauce are cooked in a crockpot and just turned to warm for serving. I made a bazillion of them so was able to bring some home. You can heat up the leftovers in the microwave for an easy lunch or stuff them into a hoagie roll or tortilla for another easy meal.
Mexican Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce recipe is super easy and makes some delicious, super moist meatballs. The sauce that surrounds the meatballs adds a nice subtle kick without overwhelming heat. Which is perfect for my wimpy taste buds. You could definitely kick up the heat for people who like more of the inferno effect.
- 2 lbs ground meat I used a combination of beef and pork
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk almond, skim, whatever you prefer
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 28 oz fire-roasted tomatoes diced or crushed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low sodium/fat free chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 3 chipotles in adobo chopped (more for additional heat)
- Cilantro chopped for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine ground meat, bread crumbs, Milk, eggs, chili powder, garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and cumin. Roll into 1 tablespoon sized balls.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Brown meatballs on each side in batches if necessary. Don't overcrowd.
Spray a crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Stir in tomatoes, chipotle peppers, broth, garlic, oregano and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cumin. Add meatballs and cook on high for 3 hours. Stir in chopped cilantro prior to serving
Adapted from Family Circle May 2015.