This Turkey Sloppy Joes recipe tastes better than the canned sloppy joes, is just as quick to put together, and no one will know that it’s healthier too.
Did you ever make sloppy joes with the sauce that came out of a can? I loved those things growing up, and never got tired of them. I thought that I could come up with something just as good. Homemade is always best, right? It really took me a while to come up with what I thought was a good Turkey Sloppy Joes recipe. When I finally had a winner, I forgot to take pictures before digging in. These are really good, and I make them all the time.
One thing I’ve learned about ground turkey is that it doesn’t have a whole lot of taste. Sometimes the ingredients used to make ground turkey taste good add more fat and calories than you would think. Unless you use the ground turkey from all white meat, lean ground beef can have less fat and calories.
To make this sandwich extra amazing, how about whipping up some buttery Brioche Buns to put them on?
Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/4 lbs ground turkey
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeno minced (optional)
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz no-salt-added tomato sauce
- Heat oil in a skillet. When hot, cook onions and green pepper over medium heat until softened. Add garlic, jalapeno and ground turkey. Continue cooking until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add cumin, and chili powder and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer until heated through.
Eating well doesn’t mean that it doesn’t taste good, include weird ingredients, or take a lot of time. I love banging around my kitchen but face it sometimes you just don’t have the time or inclination. Recipes like this Turkey Sloppy Joes guarantees that your children that already love beef sloppy joes are probably not going to know the difference and you will not miss the loss of fat and calories.
Do you have a dish switch that you make that your family loves? I’d love it if you will share it with me? I love getting inspiration for my recipes from you!
Here are a few more recipes that are delicious but are easy to make and a little better for you.