Ground Turkey and Spelt Skillet is a quick and easy meal that tastes rich and delicious without all of the fat and calories. Spelt berries make this dish a great source for whole grain fiber.
A couple of years ago, I decided that I was going to expand our whole grain horizon, and tried farro in my Farro with Mushrooms and Thyme recipe. John loved it which is usually a true test for me. I’ll eat about anything, but that’s not the case with him. Since that was such a success, my next attempt was Spelt Bread. It was truly delicious so I was confident that I could use Spelt berries in a recipe. This Ground Turkey Spelt Skillet recipe is quick, easy, healthy and absolutely delicious.
When I was developing this dish, I originally wanted to try Freekah, which is an ancient grain made from roasting green wheat. I couldn’t find it anywhere. I figured if I couldn’t find it you might have trouble too. John and I just love the texture and flavor of spelt. It reminded me of farro but the flavor does differ.
I love making a recipe that looks like it’s full of cream which means it tastes good right? I also like making a one pot meal which means less clean up! This is an “almost” one pot meal that you can put together in no time. The spelt berries need to soak anywhere from 1 hour to overnight so you’ll want to plan ahead a little bit.
You can easily substitute the spelt with other grains such as barley, farro, or wild rice.
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
Ground Turkey and Spelt Skillet
- 1 cup Spelt berries
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 19.2 oz ground turkey
- 8 oz mushrooms your favorite variety
- 1/2 cup diced leek
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tarragon chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 29 oz chicken stock
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- 4 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream reduced fat is fine
- Salt and Pepper
- Soak spelt berries for 1 hour to overnight in 1 1/2 cups of water or more if needed to cover berries. Heat spelt and soaking water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then turn to simmer. Cook covered for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, brown turkey, leek and mushrooms. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add chicken stock. Bring to a simmer.
- In a small dish mix arrowroot with 1/4 cup of water. Stir or whisk to combine until smooth. Add to turkey and turn down heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cheese, sour cream and spelt berries. Ingredients will thicken as they sit.
- Garnish with additional tarragon if desired.
- Keep leftovers refrigerated.
This is a wholesome delicious dish that tastes like some of my favorite creamy dishes. Here are a few more dishes that are full of whole grains that we love!
Do you have a favorite way to include whole grains in your dishes? I’d love to hear about your ideas! Just drop me a comment below.