Ground Turkey and Spelt Skillet is a quick and easy meal that tastes rich and delicious without all of the fat and calories. Spelt berries make this dish a great source for whole grain fiber.
This Ground Turkey Spelt Skillet recipe is quick, easy, healthy and absolutely delicious.
A couple of years ago, I decided that I was going to expand our whole grain horizon, and tried farro in my Farro with Mushrooms and Thyme recipe.
John loved it which is usually a true test for me.
I’ll eat about anything, but that’s not the case with him. Since that was such a success, my next attempt was Spelt Bread. It was truly delicious so I was confident that I could use Spelt berries in a recipe. This Ground Turkey Spelt Skillet recipe is quick, easy, healthy and absolutely delicious.
When I was developing this dish, I originally wanted to try Freekah, which is an ancient grain made from roasting green wheat. I couldn’t find it anywhere.
I figured if I couldn’t find it you might have trouble too. John and I just love the texture and flavor of spelt. It reminded me of farro but the flavor does differ.
I love making a recipe that looks like it’s full of cream which means it tastes good right?
I also like making a one-pot meal which means less clean up! This is an “almost” one-pot meal that you can put together in no time.
The spelt berries need to soak anywhere from 1 hour to overnight so you’ll want to plan ahead a little bit.
You can easily substitute the spelt with other grains such as barley, farro, or wild rice.
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Ground Turkey and Spelt Skillet
- 1 cup Spelt berries
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 19.2 oz ground turkey
- 8 oz mushrooms your favorite variety
- 1/2 cup diced leek
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tarragon chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 29 oz chicken stock
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- 4 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream reduced fat is fine
- Salt and Pepper
- Soak spelt berries for 1 hour to overnight in 1 1/2 cups of water or more if needed to cover berries. Heat spelt and soaking water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then turn to simmer. Cook covered for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, brown turkey, leek and mushrooms. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add chicken stock. Bring to a simmer.
- In a small dish mix arrowroot with 1/4 cup of water. Stir or whisk to combine until smooth. Add to turkey and turn down heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cheese, sour cream and spelt berries. Ingredients will thicken as they sit.
- Garnish with additional tarragon if desired.
- Keep leftovers refrigerated.
This is a wholesome delicious dish that tastes like some of my favorite creamy dishes. Here are a few more dishes that are full of whole grains that we love!