This recipe originally appeared September 14,12014 to improve your experience.
If you love a great creamy pasta dish with over the top deliciousness, you’re going to love Fettuccine with Sausage and Mushrooms! It’s figure-friendly without sacrificing flavor!
Once upon a time, a Tagliatelle Con Salsiccia met a Spaghetti con Funghi and had a baby Fettuccine with Sausage and Mushrooms. Let me explain….
I was leafing through the food network magazine, July/August 2014 edition, and saw a recipe for the Tagliatelle Con Salsiccia. I loved the combination of the sausage and the mushrooms but didn’t like the heavy cream, cheese and butter combination. Well, I really do, but I know my heart and thighs don’t.
One of the ingredients in this recipe that helps make it healthier is arrowroot powder (also known as arrowroot starch) derived from the tropical arrowroot plant.
It is a gluten-free method to thicken sauces, fillings and even jams and eliminates the use of making a roux which is made with butter and flour as the thickening agent. It also gives the dish a creamy texture and appearance.
I learned of this method from Rocco Dispirito, an author of several books and he’s known for taking fat-laden high-calorie Italian food and trimming the fat and calories.
Since you and I have been friends for quite a while, you know that I am kind of an organization nut in the kitchen so I had all my ingredients ready to go before I got started making this recipe.
Even so, by the time I was done playing mad chemist with this recipe, my kitchen looked like a bomb had gone off. John walked in and thought we had been ransacked.
This dish comes together quickly so I really recommend having everything together before you start.
Here are a few more pasta dishes I think you’ll like
- Healthier Shrimp Fettucine
- Pasta with Sausage and Mushrooms
- Creamy Shrimp and Spinach Pasta Recipe
- Bucatini Cacio e Pepe Pasta
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
I guess destroying my kitchen developing this recipe was definitely worth it. Since making this recipe over and over, I have averted the original chaos.
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Fettuccine with Sausage and Mushrooms
- 8 oz whole wheat Fettuccine pasta cooked al dente
- 1 lb mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 9 oz turkey sausage browned and drained.
- 2 cups chicken stock homemade or purchased
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 4 tsp arrowroot powder
- Olive oil extra virgin
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- Drizzle olive oil into a skillet and when hot add onion and mushrooms. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and remove from the heat.
- Heat cooked sausage and chicken stock together in a large skillet or dutch oven. Stir arrowroot powder and 1/4 cup water together in a cup or small bowl until combined. Pour the arrowroot and water mixture into the sausage and stir until it begins to thicken. Add onions, mushrooms, garlic and about 2/3 of the parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and then add the cooked Fettuccine noodles and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste
- Add chopped parsley if using. Serve immediately and garnish with remaining parmesan cheese.
Do some of your recipes require that you destroy the place? Come on, I love those stories!
Pour yourself a nice glass of wine and a slice of great crusty bread. You deserve it! Cheers.
This is definitely a comfort dish just like these recipes
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!