Caramelized Pear Pie Filling is so much more than something you’d find in a pie. It’s so good on so many things especially your spoon!
Caramelized Pear Pie Filling is swimming in a warm, sweet, gooey sauce that compliments so many dishes or is amazing on its own.
I have a horrible habit of overbuying produce. There has to be a psychological reason that they make it the first department you see when you go into most stores. So it’s not really my fault, right? Well, I had 8 pears sitting on my counter that were all ripening at the same rate.
I love pears but don’t quite know why I thought two people should have a dozen pears and reasonably expect to eat all of them. What I did know is that we wouldn’t be enjoying them for long if I didn’t do something with them soon.
Cooking fruit with warm cinnamon and brown sugar just warms me from the inside out. I grew up eating fruit prepared like this. One of my favorite ways was warmed and spooned on vanilla ice cream!
It was the taste of fall with the sweet brown sugar and cinnamon combined with my beautiful ripe pears. This filling can be put in the freezer in an airtight container to be enjoyed when fresh pairs are only a memory.
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
Caramelized Pear Pie Filling
- 7 pears peeled, cored, and diced into 1/4 " pieces (I used Bartlett pears)
- 1/4 tsp water
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- In a 2 quart saucepan combine diced pears, water and the juice of one lemon. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes. Some of the pears will break down, but that's fine.
- In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine. Pour over pears, and stir constantly until sauce thickens approximately 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
I used some of this filling for my Kolaches. They were just as good as they looked! The Kolache pastry isn’t very sweet so this filling was perfect.
Other suggestions for using Caramelized Pear Pie Filling:
- Topping for pancakes, French toast, waffles, oatmeal, ice cream
- Mashed and spread on toast
- A sweet side to a cup of soup or chili
How would you serve this Caramelized Pear Pie Filling? With a spoon is my #1 suggestion!
We love this filling, and here are a few more recipes that we love!