Manchego Grilled Cheese sandwich is sweet, savory and buttery. This grown-up grilled cheese is simple to make but fancy enough for company!
THIS POST HAS BEEN UPGRADED FROM 4/21/15 TO IMPROVE READER EXPERIENCE.
Manchego Grilled Cheese is my favorite grilled cheese sandwich. It’s nothing like I grew up eating. Manchego is a soft buttery cheese that melts everything together. Exactly what you want in your grilled cheese sandwich.
I grew up going to religion classes on Saturday mornings. I thought that was the biggest rip off because Saturday morning was when the best cartoons were on television. Not only that, the classes were so boring. All I knew is that I had to memorize a whole lot of stuff. If I didn’t, I could end up in a very warm place at the end of my days. Yikes!
When our classes were over, we went home to a lunch of grilled cheese and tomato soup. Tomato soup was from a can, and our grilled cheese was a skinny yellow piece of cheese on buttered white bread. I loved it. Of course, I loved anything drowned in ketchup.
The grilled cheese that I make now has grown up a bit. My little person self would probably turn up my nose. My big girl self just loves every single layer of my grown-up version of this grilled Manchego Cheese Sandwich. Oh, and it doesn’t need one drop of ketchup to improve its flavor.
A Manchego Grilled Cheese starts with great bread slathered with butter on the outside and a smear of fig chutney or jam on the inside. This yummy bread holds together a caramelized onion-mushroom mixture, fresh spinach, and all that buttery melted Manchego cheese.
Grilled Manchego Cheese Assembly
- Butter the outside of two slices of bread.
- Spread fig jam on the inside of one piece of bread for a slightly sweet sandwich or on both sides if you want it sweeter.
- Add 1/4th of the sauteed mushroom-onion mixture.
- Top the mushrooms with fresh spinach
- Finish with a layer of Manchego cheese
What is Manchego cheese?
Castello Cheeses states Manchego cheese is from Spain and made from sheep’s milk. Manchego is aged from 2 months to 2 years. Manchego is a sharp, acidic, and nutty cheese.
What I love about Manchego cheese is that it’s nutty and buttery and it melts well without being real greasy like a cheddar often is.
Alternative cheeses – Cheeses that can substitute for Manchego
- White English Cheddar
What you may need to make a Manchego Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, please see our disclosure.
- Panini Press – This is the one that I have. I like that the reversible grates become a griddle and that they can be removed for easy cleaning.
- Slotted Spatula – Also called a fish spatula. I use mine for everything.
If you like this recipe, here are a few more I think you’re going to LOVE!
- The Best Cuban Sandwich Recipe
- Most Amazing Shrimp BLT Sandwich Recipe
- Toasted Italian Sub Sandwich
- Grilled Caprese Panini
So, I may not have been great at memorizing my religion, but I aced grilled cheese! And, the tomato soup was there too, a bumped up big person version called Easy Tomato Florentine Soup!
Grown-Up Manchego Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 yellow onion sliced thinly
- 16 oz mushrooms
sliced – I used cremini
- 2 tablespoons sherry
or white wine vinegar
- 3 ounces Manchego cheese shaved
- 2 cups Fresh baby spinach stems removed
- 2 tbsp Fig jam or chutney
- 8 slices Sandwich bread of your choice
- In a heavy skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add sliced onions and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat until browned and caramelized.
- Add sherry and continue cooking until sherry has evaporated. Stir in fresh thyme.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. On the non-buttered side, spread a thin layer of fig jam or chutney on only one slice. Layer 1/4 each of the mushroom-onion mix, fresh spinach, and Manchego cheese. Top with the second piece of bread, buttered side out.
- Place the sandwich butter side down in a panini maker or *heated skillet. Cook sandwich 7 to 10 minutes or until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted.
What is your favorite grilled cheese recipe? Please share by commenting below. I’d love it if you left me 5 ✭✭✭✭✭ too!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!