Quick Peach Streusel Bread combines a full two cups of fruit with delicious spices. The streusel topping adds a nice crunch that guarantees everyone will love it.
Quick Peach Streusel Bread is all about the peaches. This bread is sweet and rich in spices. It’s also soft and tender and since it’s a quick bread doesn’t have yeast or require rising so it can be on your table in no time.
I grew up eating peaches every summer, but I never had Colorado peaches. That is until I ordered some through a local charity. I had to get a whole lug at a time and had so many people willing to take the ones I couldn’t get used. Last year John and I were in Colorado just as they were being harvested. It’s a good thing we drove so I could bring plenty of those beauties back.
They are so large and juicy and one peach can yield a full cup. When they’re ripe they just fall off the pit and are so good plain or in baked goods. We didn’t make it back to Colorado but were lucky enough that one of our farmer’s markets had some. I picked up what I thought was plenty….twice! I have really wanted to make a sweet bread and it turned out better than you can imagine.
The peaches were perfect in this bread. They complemented the spices perfectly and were a nice tender contrast to the crunch of the streusel. My only complaint is that peach season doesn’t last long enough and even though they freeze well, there’s nothing like the first fresh peaches of the season I need to stock up on this bread when these peaches are once again just a memory.
Can’t make it now? Pin it for later!
Quick Peach Streusel Bread Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 6 tbl unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice and zest
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cup peaches roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar light or dark
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbl cold butter diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. You can also line it with parchment paper as I often do and then spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the dry bread ingredients (flour through salt) together in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine eggs, lemon juice, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in the peaches. Pour into prepared pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in cold butter using two forks until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over bread.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Turn pan halfway through baking. Cool completely in the pan on a wire cooling rack.
I skinned my peaches but it isn’t required. Just wash them well. If you choose to peel them I submerge a peach into boiling water for 30 seconds. Transfer the peach immediately to an ice bath for 10 seconds. Pinch the skin to loosen and remove.
I just love quick breads. Here are a couple of my favorite ones!