Orange-Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake is a sweet quick bread that is stuffed and topped with a warm cinnamon brown sugar streusel. It’s great with a cup of coffee at breakfast or complements a savory dish at dinner.
Orange-Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake isn’t just any coffee cake! I don’t know what it is about streusel topping. I love it.
Nebraska temperatures are supposed to be in the 40s this time of year. However, we can’t even get to 30 and have been dumped on with snow for the last two weekends. This weekend will be the third storm in a row.
When I have comfort food on the brain I like baking a sweet treat to go with my meal. A lot of the time it’s muffins so it wasn’t unusual when my brain instantly went to warm cinnamon streusel muffins and morphed from there.
Is there such a thing as recipe ADD? Within about 5 minutes my muffins turned to bread adding orange as well. And skidded to a halt once I landed on this Orange Streusel Coffee Cake.
Tips for making perfect streusel
- When I make streusel the first thing I do is dice up the butter and put it in the refrigerator until I’m ready for it. I want to keep it cold.
- Don’t over-work the butter into the streusel. You want pea-sized pieces of butter throughout your streusel.
- Sprinkle the streusel onto your batter. Don’t press it into the bakery.
- Don’t skimp! It’s delicious!
Coffee cake is cake intended to be eaten with or flavored with coffee, Coffee Cake can have more than one layer, contain nuts or have an icing. Wikipedia
The first coffee cakes are thought to have originated in Germany. These were more like sweetbreads than cakes. It wasn’t until 1879 that the term “coffee cake” became a common term.
Coffee cake can be whatever you want it to be! Here are some amazing examples!
- Peanut Butter Coffee Cake – Hostess At Heart
- Blackberry Brown Sugar Coffee Cake – Sugar & Soul
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake – Fake Ginger
- Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake – The Sprinkled Plate
You may need:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, please see our disclosure.
Loaf Pan – I use these pans for meat loaf, bread and of course coffee cakes. Nothing sticks and mine have lasted for years.
Pastry Blender – I like the blender with the round wire instead of the rectangular cutters. They do a great job make streusel or pie crust.
Don’t forget to save this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for easy reference!
Orange-Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake
Coffee Cake Batter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.25 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.50 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup yogurt plain
- 1 egg large
- 1 tbsp orange zest about 1 orange
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk any will work
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cold and diced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with oil, butter, or a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine sugar, and egg. Blend together and then add yogurt, orange zest, orange extract, and milk. Blend until smooth.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Combine brown sugar, pecans, and cinnamon. Stir together. Add cold diced butter using either two forks, a pastry blender or your fingers in a pinching motion until crumbly and the size of peas. Don’t overwork. Add flour and lightly mix.
- Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle half of the streusel over the batter. Pour the remaining batter over the streusel and then sprinkle remaining streusel over the top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cover the top with foil if the streusel gets too dark.
A final note. If you’re a batter tester you’re not going to notice a strong orange flavor. However, it is smoothly present in the baked coffee cake.
You know what a bread lover I am and here are a few more recipes that we can’t live without!
I can’t wait for you to try this easy coffee cake recipe. If you love this recipe please comment and rate it 5-stars. Thank you from the bottom of my big heart!
LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!