Pumpkin Apple Bread with Streusel topping is tender, moist and delicious. This quick spiced pumpkin bread is loaded with chunks of apple and warm spices.
Pumpkin Apple Bread with Streusel Topping is perfect with a bowl of soup at lunch or a great breakfast treat with a cup of coffee. This pumpkin apple bread recipe is the perfect loaf to make when you crave those beautiful pumpkin spices.
I’ve been on a real quick bread kick lately. I love making a quick bread and like serving it with a savory soup or just enjoying a slice for breakfast.
I’ve made this Pumpkin Apple Streusel Bread a couple of times. The first time I used 2 cups of diced apples and boy was it delicious. However, there was so much moisture in the bread that it didn’t have the delicate crumb that I enjoy.
Another win for this bread is the addition of apple juice. I used a 100% pure apple juice with no sugar added variety not only to keep this bread moist and tender but also to add additional apple flavor.
The pumpkin is a very forward flavor compared to the apple. Using the apple juice was a good choice for balancing out this apple pumpkin recipe.
I totally understand how busy you are so if you don’t have time for our helpful tips and delicious recipe ideas, just scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
What is a quick bread?
I call this a quick bread because it doesn’t require any yeast or rising time. Once you start making quick bread, it’s easy to make variations that you enjoy. I used pumpkin pie spice and fresh apples in this delicious Pumpkin Apple bread version.
Other quick bread recipes that I love!
- Apple Pecan Streusel Pull Apart Bread
- Quick Peach Streusel Bread Recipe
- Cherry Quick Bread – Baked from Scratch
What is pumpkin spice?
Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. I like using blends like this because the ingredients are already calculated for you. Why not use one blend instead of figuring out four?
What’s the difference between pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling?
Pumpkin puree is just pumpkin that has been cooked and pureed. Pumpkin Pie filling contains spices and sugar. I used pumpkin puree in this recipe and calculated the amount of spice and sugar that we believe is amazing in this pumpkin apple bread with streusel topping.
Make sure you read the ingredients on the can before buying it. Some pumpkin puree brands list squash in their ingredients. The USDA has standards for grades of canned pumpkin.
Can pumpkin pie filling be substituted for pumpkin puree?
NO! That being said, it would bake up just fine but you’ll be duplicating sugars and additional spices. I’m not even guessing what that would taste like.
I’ve never used homemade pumpkin puree in this recipe. I’ve been told once you make your own, you’ll never buy again.
Well, I made my own and wasn’t overly impressed. Also, I love the convenience of using canned. Lazy baker right?
If you like this recipe leave me a comment below and 5-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating.
One thing that does impress me is the way this pumpkin apple streusel bread came out. It’s tender, delicious and tastes like a fall day. It’s quick enough to whip up in a jiffy. I hope you’ll give it a try and let me know what you think.
A few items you may need to make the perfect Pumpkin Apple Bread Recipe!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, please see our disclosure.
- Loaf Pans – I find that both halves of the squash will usually fit in a loaf pan. I like that these pans are a little bit bigger. I use them for meatloaf and bread recipes too!
- Wire Pastry Cutter – I like the wire so much better than the blade cutters. I find the texture to be so much more of what I’m looking for than what I get with the blade cutters.
Pumpkin Apple Bread with Streusel Topping
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar I like dark but either is fine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs large
- 1 cup pumpkin puree I use canned
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 6 tbsp butter unsalted melted and cooled
- 1 apple diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter cold, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. You can also line it with parchment paper as I often do and then spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, sugars, and salt. Whisk together
- In a medium-size bowl, combine eggs, apple juice, melted butter, and pumpkin.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir to combine. Fold in the diced apple.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Combine streusel ingredients. Cut the cold butter in using a pastry cutter. Sprinkle on top of batter.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn pan halfway through baking. Cool completely in the pan on a wire cooling rack.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite board!
We all need more sweet pumpkin recipes. Here are some great ones!
- Pumpkin Pecan Donuts with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Pumpkin Zucchini Streusel Bread
- Rich and Creamy Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie
- Pumpkin Bars with Pecan Crumble
- Smooth and Creamy Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Bars
Before you go, leave me a comment and tell us what your favorite quick bread recipe is. If you make this recipe be sure to share a picture on Instagram. Tag #hostessatheart to be featured on our page!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!