Tender Baked Pumpkin Donuts combines warm fall spices, a sweet cream cheese glaze, and toasty pecans that will make any breakfast feel special in less than 10 minutes.
Who doesn’t love fresh donuts for breakfast? These Pumpkin Donuts taste like fall.
This no-yeast pumpkin donut recipe is quick and easy to get on the table and make any breakfast feel special!
You’ll love this easy Pumpkin Donut recipe. The baked donuts are soft and tender and make you just want to curl up and watch the leaves fly.
The truth is that I love bakery for breakfast. Preferably sweet bakery. We got in the habit of running to our favorite donut shop every Sunday morning.
I was like a kid in a candy shop picking out which one I was taking home.
That was so wrong on so many levels. The biggest reason is one donut soon became two donuts.
For someone who TRIES watching their weight, a couple of fried donuts probably erase any activity for the rest of the day. Once in awhile it’s o.k. every Sunday not cool.
I’m not saying this pumpkin donut recipe is diet food. However, I believe that small changes add up to big results.
Swearing off donuts isn’t going to happen, and believe me, these pumpkin donuts aren’t a sacrifice either.
Easy Donut Recipe Variations
- Add Chocolate Chips for a real people pleaser!
- Not a pecan fan? Leave them out or substitute with another nut.
- Skip the glaze and dust with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
- Glaze and sprinkle with toasted coconut or SPRINKLES!
- Don’t have applesauce? Increase pumpkin.
Ingredients in these Pumpkin Donuts with Cream Cheese Glaze:
- Brown Sugar
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Baking Soda
- Applesauce – no sugar added variety
- Cream Cheese – glaze
- Powdered Sugar – glaze
- Milk – glaze
- Vanilla Extract – glaze
How to bake perfect baked donuts every time!
As you can see in the video, this batter is fairly thick. If you make any substitutions, pay attention to the consistency of the batter. It’s like a pancake batter on the thicker side.
Want more delicious recipes? Follow Hostess At Heart on Pinterest!
Tips to make the perfect Baked Pumpkin donuts:
- This pumpkin donut recipe makes 11 to 12 donuts. I recommend using 2 6-donut pans and bake them at the same time. If you only have one pan, allow the pan to cool between batches.
- If you are using one pan, refrigerate the batter between batches.
- Be sure to spray the pan thoroughly between batches.
- If you use a piping bag to fill your pan, use a new one between filling. Trying to fill a used bag is a mess. Also, don’t cut the hole in the bag too small. You’ll have to squeeze it to death to get this thick batter out.
- Don’t glaze the donuts until you are ready to eat them. They will become soggy.
- Bake the donuts the day before and store in an airtight container or freeze for up to three months.
- Make the batter the day before and store covered in the refrigerator.
These donuts can be made ahead and stored at room temperature in the refrigerator or frozen before they’re iced. Just put them in a single layer in an airtight container.
Once they’re iced, store them in the refrigerator.
If you enjoyed these donuts, here are a few more you may like
Items you may need to make the best Pumpkin Donut recipe!
- Donut pans – These non-stick donut pans are so easy to use and the baked donuts pop right out.
- Cooling racks – I love these large racks. I can get an entire batch of cookies on one and they’re tough enough to hold large loaves of bread. It fits into my half-sheet pan for baking bacon too!
Don’t have a donut pan? You can make this Pumpkin Donut recipe in a mini muffin pan too!
Pin these Pumpkin Donuts to your favorite board!
Don’t Forget To Come Back And Let Me Know How Your Pumpkin Donuts Turned Out!
Baked Pumpkin Donut Recipe with Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans + more to garnish
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbs milk or cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a Donut Pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, and applesauce.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the center of the dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Fold the pecans into the batter.
- Fill a pastry bag or a plastic bag with batter. Snip off a corner of the bag and fill the donut pan cavities. Using the back of a spoon, smooth the batter.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, turning the pan at the 5-minute mark. Donuts are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the donuts immediately from the pan to a cooling rack.
- Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and enough milk to make a thin glaze. Drizzle each donut and sprinkle with additional pecans.
I do love a great donut and plan on making more. What is your favorite flavor or other breakfast baked recipes? Leave a comment below! You are my inspiration!