I’ve baked a lot of cookies, and nothing has ever competed with My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie. Get out of the way when these babies come out of the oven they could cause a stampede.
My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie doesn’t have any competition in our book. I’ve tried a lot of recipes, and nothing touches this one. It only makes about 16 to 18 cookies so either hide a stash for yourself or make a double batch!
John and I recently participated in a charity walk for NOCC, National Ovarian Cancer Coalition. We had a beautiful morning for a walk. It was a cool start which had us dressing in layers. By the finish, We were in single layers and basking in the sunshine that finally caught up with us.
The morning exercise had me bustling with energy, and in the mood to bake some cookies. I took a poll (I asked John), what sounded good. I should have known what he would say without even asking him. Chocolate Chip cookies, specifically, the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from Cooks Illustrated.
These cookies are a bit more work, and only make a batch of 16 to 18 large cookies, but they are worth every extra buttery second. They are gently crispy on the edges, and chocolatey-gooey in the middle. The secret is BROWN BUTTER! If you haven’t jumped on that train it’s time you do!
Don’t have time to make them now? Pin it for later!
My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 1 3/4 all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 14 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus one yolk
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips chips or chunks (I also use dark chocolate)
- 3/4 cup pecans or walnuts toasted and chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Adjust oven rack to center. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk all-purpose flour and baking soda together. Set aside.
- Melt 10 tablespoons of butter in a 10-inch skillet. Swirl until butter is golden brown. Pour into a large bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and stir until completely melted.
- Add brown sugar, white sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Whisk until completely combined. Add Whole egg and yolk. Whisk until completely combined, 30 seconds. Let rest for 3 minutes. Whisk for another 30 seconds. Repeat 2 more times.
- Add flour mixture. Stir to combine. Add chocolate chips and nuts if using.
- Roll 3 tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Keep two inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are browned on the edges, 8-10 minutes, rotating halfway through. Cool pan on a wire rack.
I’ve made these cookies several times and love surprising John with them. I always have to leave him a little dough in the fridge. Life is short. Spoil the ones you love right?
Did you see the little nose sneaking in on John’s cookie? Poor girl didn’t even get a nibble.