Blueberry Puff Pastry Rolls are quick, easy and delicious. They are perfect for breakfast, brunch or that sweet treat after any meal.
I don’t think that there is anything more beautiful than what good ole “Mother Nature” creates. The colors of new berries in the spring and summer are amazing. Artists test their own talent trying to create a berry as beautiful as the original, just as I tried to create Blueberry Puff Pastry Rolls that tasted like Mother Nature intended.
When berries look good, I just buy, buy and buy. When I can’t get fresh, frozen work perfectly. In fact, since they don’t grow here frozen can be tastier. So when my refrigerator is full of blueberries, I get creative. Creative doesn’t mean difficult or time-consuming. These Blueberry Puff Pastry Rolls are quick, easy and delicious. That makes this recipe about as perfect as those blueberries.
The filling is such a deep purple, that only my fingers showed how purple they really were after I shoved a couple not-so-delicate bites into my mouth. The buttery puff pastry was a perfect match for the sweetness of the blueberry filling, and the whole thing was finished with a light sprinkling of powdered sugar.
These Blueberry Puff Pastry Rolls make a perfect breakfast over the holidays or a great addition to your brunch menu. I love working with puff pastry because it looks like you went to a lot more work than you actually did. They are sure a lot easier than they look to make!
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
Blueberry Puff Pastry Rolls
- 2-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt (pinch)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg or egg white
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan combine blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, salt, and butter. Cook over medium-low heat until berries soften (5 minutes). Stir in flour and cook until thickened (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Unroll puff pastry and cut into thirds.
- Spoon cooled filling down the center of each piece of puff pastry. Bring edges together and pinch to close. Don't overfill or they will break open during baking. Slice into 1-1/2 inch lengths. Place rolls on baking sheets.
- Mix egg (or egg white) with a small amount of water. Whip with a fork until foamy. Brush the top of each roll with egg mixture. Prick with a knife or fork to vent.
- Place on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Store in an airtight container.
If you like those hand pies like I do, here are a couple of my favorites!