Strawberry Rhubarb Bread with Streusel Topping could easily pass for cake. It is sweet, tart, and crunchy all at the same time. This strawberry rhubarb bread recipe is perfect for any time from breakfast to dessert.
This post has been upgraded from 5/2/16 to improve reader experience. No changes have been made to the recipe.
If this Strawberry Rhubarb Bread was entered in the County Fair, I know I would walk away with a purple ribbon! How do I know? Experience!
True story here. When I was younger, I was in a club called the 4-H Club.
As the county fair rolled around, we were required to submit an entry. I had signed up for a cooking division and specifically wanted to enter my mother’s coffee cake recipe.
My entry was due and I had totally forgotten to make it. I remembered it while at a school function, and knew that there was no way I was going to be able to make it in time!
So, I called my mother and asked her to bake it for me. I knew I would be awarded a winning ribbon because my mother’s coffee cake was the best!
Well, karma was not on my side. I, or more accurately, my mother, received a white ribbon, which essentially says better luck next time.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY RHUBARB BREAD
Ingredients for Strawberry Rhubarb Bread with Streusel Topping
- All-Purpose Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour. Adding whole wheat improves the crumb of this bread and makes the texture come out divine. It’s worth a trip to the store for this ingredient.
- Baking Powder. Fresh is best! Buy new baking powder and baking soda every six months or so.
- Baking Soda.
- Sugar. Granulated Sugar is preferred.
- Brown Sugar. Light or dark brown sugar will both work equally well.
- Cinnamon. Saigon Cinnamon is my favorite but whatever you have at home works perfectly!
- Salt. Kosher or ordinary table salt is fine.
- Eggs. Large eggs are what I typically buy to assure my baking comes out consistently.
- Butter. I like unsalted butter best. If you use salted omit the salt ingredient.
- Lemon Juice. Fresh or from a bottle works fine.
- Buttermilk. If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make a substitute, but the real thing is best.
- Rhubarb. A red vegetable that looks similar to celery.
- Strawberries. As fresh as possible.
Instructions for the Strawberry Rhubarb Bread Recipe
With any quick bread recipe you can follow these basic steps. More specific instructions are found on the recipe card.
- First, preheat your oven and spray your loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, mix the dry ingredients and whisk them together.
- Then, mix the liquid ingredients separately.
- Slowly pour the liquid ingredient mixture into the dry ingredient mixture and stir just to combine. Don’t over-stir.
- Pour it all into the prepared loaf pan.
- Mix up the streusel topping and put that on the top of the quick bread batter.
- Bake the bread. It will take about fifty-five minutes so plan accordingly!
- Finally, mix the glaze and top with glaze if desired.
You May Need These Supplies
HOW TO STORE STRAWBERRY RHUBARB BREAD WITH STREUSAL TOPPING
This is a very moist Strawberry Rhubarb Quick Bread. For that reason, we recommend storing it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This bread can also be frozen. We would either wrap it in plastic wrap and then foil or in a resealable freezer bag. We like to separate the strawberry rhubarb loaf into two-slice packages so we can take out just what we need.
CAN I USE FROZEN RHUBARB?
I prefer fresh, but frozen will work too
Thaw the rhubarb and dab it with a paper towel. Frozen rhubarb can lose moisture but works in this recipe because of the moisture in the apples.
TIPS FOR THE STRAWBERRY RHUBARB BREAD RECIPE
- Don’t add too much fruit to this loaf. That will add too much moisture.
- Don’t overwork the streusel ingredients. We use a wire pastry cutter. That keeps the cold butter from blending into the topping too much. Keeping the pieces in tack is what creates that crunch texture.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan over a cooling rack instead of popping the bread out of the pan right away. That will help it firm up.
- Wait for the loaf to cool before you cut it to get the perfect slice.
- We store our homemade quick bread on a plate and cover them with foil. Storing a quick bread in a plastic bag will create condensation and make it mushy. It will not last as long either.
This recipe is a hit in every way possible. The crumb is so soft and moist. It’s nice and sweet with a mix of tartness from the rhubarb.
The streusel gives this bread a delightful crunch, and the lemon just brightens up everything beautifully.
MORE RHUBARB RECIPES
- Rhubarb Oat Muffins
- Apple Rhubarb Skillet Pie
- Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Rhubarb Dessert Recipe
SOME OF OUR FAVORITE STRAWBERRY RECIPES
- Strawberry Kuchen
- Strawberry Slab Pie
- Boozy Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
Another true story. John wanted to share this Strawberry Rhubarb Bread with his parents. I said not this time, I wasn’t sharing! Karma will probably bite me for that too!
OUR MOST POPULAR RECIPES
- Overnight Sourdough Bread
- Fruit Cocktail Salad
- Pear Pie Filling
- Chocolate Trifle
- Italian Bread Recipe
- Swedish Apple Pie
Strawberry Rhubarb Bread with Streusel Topping
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 6 tbl unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice and zest
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup rhubarb sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar light or dark
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbl cold butter diced
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. You can also line it with parchment paper as I often do and then spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the dry bread ingredients (flour through salt) together in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine eggs, lemon juice, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in rhubarb and strawberries. Pour into prepared pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in cold butter using two forks until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over bread.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Turn pan halfway through baking. Cool completely in the pan on a wire cooling rack.
- Remove bread from pan. Combine glaze ingredients. Add additional milk if the glaze is too thick to drizzle over bread.