Sweet Molasses Brown Bread Rolls are soft and delicious. Molasses, honey and whole wheat flour give these rolls a mild sweetness and great flavor, especially when slathered with brown sugar butter!
Some time ago I participated in a bread baking challenge group where we were given monthly challenge themes. This Sweet Molasses Brown Bread Rolls recipe was created during a challenge for “sweetbreads”.
There are tons of sweetbreads, but the intention was to make bread that requires yeast. I love cinnamon rolls and those sweetbreads, but I wanted to try something just a little different.
I wanted to make a brown bread that can be served with a savory meal. Such as those brown bread rolls that have a slight sweetness to it but isn’t all about the sweetness.
I found this recipe by “its always autumn”. You really should check out her website. This gal does it all!
She “claimed” that this bread was a knock-off of the Outback Steakhouse brown bread.
Well, I haven’t been to Outback for quite some time, but remember those rolls very well. They serve it warm on a breadboard with their own whipped honey butter. I had all of the ingredients, so that was the clincher.
When I had put my dough together, it was quite stiff. I really wondered if this bread was going to be light and soft.
Well, I said I wasn’t a bread scientist because these rolls were all of that.
While my rolls were baking, I put a stick of softened salted butter in my food processor with 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a tablespoon of honey and whizzed everything together until it was creamy.
I then put it in a jar. Oh my, I could slather that stuff on anything and go back for seconds! Slathered on these rolls is something close to an out of body experience.
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Our most popular bread recipes
- Overnight Sourdough Bread
- Italian Bread Recipe
- Medianoche Bread
- Cherry Bread
- Organic Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- Spelt Sandwich Bread
- Brioche Bun Recipe
Don’t have time to make them now? Pin it for later!
We really enjoyed these rolls, and even though I bake a lot of bread it reminded me that I need to make rolls more often.
Oh and that butter would be delicious on pancakes or waffles too. I’m just drooling thinking about it.
Most Popular Recipes
Sweet Molasses Brown Bread Rolls Recipe
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water 110 degrees F
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp cocoa I used dutch processed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Cornmeal optional
Brown sugar butter
- 8 tbsp stick salted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Combine warm water and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Combine all remaining ingredients, except for the whole wheat flour and mix together using the paddle beater. Scrape down sides and mix until just combined.
- Change beater to the dough hook. Add one cup of the whole wheat flour and mix on low until combined. Gradually add another cup of whole wheat flour until dough starts to ball and leaves the sides of the bowl. Beat on low for 7 minutes, adding additional flour if necessary.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until tight and smooth, 4 to 5 times. Place in a large lightly oiled bowl, turning once to oil both sides of the dough ball. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, 90 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Punch down dough and form 16 rolls. Place in a greased 9X13 inch pan and allow to rise again for 1 hour.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cornflour (optional)
- Bake for 22 minutes.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!