Corned Beef Sandwich recipe is loaded with tender corned beef, a sweet mustard sauce, and crunchy caraway slaw. This easy-to-make sandwich is a delicious way to use leftover corned beef!
Corned Beef Sandwich recipe starts with a mound of corned beef, layered with a smooth brown sugar mustard sauce and topped with a crunchy caraway slaw.
Add a nice seeded rye bread and you’ve got a work of art disguised as a sandwich.
This Corned Beef Cabbage Sandwich is over the top in flavor and textures.
The mild brown sugar mustard sauce is so smooth and creamy that it should be bottled.
It just seeps into this sandwich and guarantees that every bite is going to be flavorful. It’s the perfect contrast to the salty corned beef.
The caraway slaw adds a delicious crunch to the tender corned beef.
Put the whole thing in between two slices of bread and you have one gourmet sandwich that’s worthy of the best deli.
No. A Rueben sandwich tops corned beef with sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Russian dressing.
Yes! We recommend heating the sandwich with the meat and mustard sauce and then applying the slaw.
Absolutely! To do so, slice the meat and make the sauce and slaw. We don’t recommend assembling the sandwiches until you’re ready to serve them. This will prevent them from becoming soggy.
Corned Beef Slaw Ingredients
Sliced Corned Beef
- Corned Beef – We Bake our Corned Beef Brisket which allows us to get beautiful slices.
- Other methods of cooking corned beef often require that you shred the meat. Shredded corned beef will work in this sandwich too.
- You can use Sliced Corned Beef from the Deli so these sandwiches can be enjoyed any time.
- Bread – We used slices of light-seeded rye bread. Any rye bread or our Sourdough Sandwich bread would be delicious.
- Dijon mustard – The smooth mild flavor works perfectly in the sauce.
- Brown Sugar – You can use dark or light brown sugar.
- Cabbage – We use green cabbage
- We always serve cabbage with our St. Patrick’s meal but don’t cook it all so we can make this slaw.
- Lemon juice – Keeps the cabbage fresh and crunchy and adding a bright acidic flavor.
- Honey – Mellows the lemon juice and adds sweetness to our slaw.
- Plain Greek Yogurt – Adds a creamy texture. We used fat-free but any variety will work.
- Spices – We toasted and ground mustard seed, allspice, and caraway seed. We also used salt. If you don’t want to toast and grind whole spices, you can use the following:
How to make a Corned Beef Sandwich
- Slice the cooked corned beef thinly and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the Dijon mustard and the brown sugar together and set aside.
- Thinly slice the cabbage. We use a mandoline to make short work of this task. You could also use a sharp knife.
- In a small bowl whisk the lemon juice, yogurt, honey, and salt together.
- In a small skillet add the allspice berries, caraway seed, and mustard seed. Toast just until fragrant. Place the spices in a spice grinder and grind to a powder consistency.
- Add the spices to the lemon juice mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour the lemon juice mixture over the cabbage and stir to combine.
- Assemble the sandwich by spreading the mustard sauce onto the inside of each slice of bread. Top the bottom slice of the bread with the sliced corned beef then top with the slaw. Place the other slice of bread on top of the slaw.
Other St. Patrick’s Day Favorites
- Roasted Cabbage and Carrots
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Waterford Blaa Irish Bread Rolls
- Oven-Roasted Carrots with Orange Glaze
- Pistachio Pudding Trifle
- Soda Bread with Raisins
- Bailey’s Mini Cheesecakes
What can I serve with Corned Beef Brisket sandwich?
What else can I make with Corned Beef Leftovers?
Even though there are only the two of us, we love all of the leftovers that we get from the corned beef. Especially Corned Beef Sandwich with Slaw. Here are a few more of our favorites.
- Corned Beef Macaroni and Cheese
- Corned Beef Hash and Eggs
- Leftovers Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup (coming soon)
If you like this corned beef brisket sandwich recipe, here are a few more I think you’ll enjoy
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Corned Beef Sandwich Recipe with Cabbage Slaw
- Corned Beef cooked and sliced or shaved thin
- Sandwich bread of your choice We used rye
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt We used fat-free
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp allspice approx 17 berries
- 1/2 tsp caraway seed
- Combine the sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- In a bowl or jar, combine lemon juice, yogurt, salt and honey
- In a small skillet, combine the mustard seed, allspice berries, and caraway seed. Heat until aromatic.
- Grind in a spice grinder and add to slaw ingredients.
- Stir to combine
- Spread sauce on both slices of bread. Add meat and top with slaw. Serve with additional sauce if desired.
- 1/4 teaspoon each of ground allspice and mustard seed.
- We recommend using 1/2 teaspoon of the whole caraway seed versus a ground version. It doesn’t have to be ground.
What is your favorite way to use leftover corned beef? I’d love it if you’d share in the comments below!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!