A Corned Beef Cabbage Slaw Sandwich that is layered with a brown sugar mustard sauce and topped with a creamy caraway slaw. Add a nice seeded rye bread and you’ve got a work of art disguised as a sandwich
This delicious recipe was first published on 3/14/16 and has been updated to improve the reader experience.
Corned Beef Cabbage Slaw Sandwich is not an ordinary sandwich!
Leftover Corned Beef? What was I thinking? I bought the biggest corned beef brisket that I could find, and there are only two of us?
Well, I did it on purpose. I only cook corned beef once a year and don’t know why. It makes the best leftovers.
We really look forward to corned beef and the leftovers are a delicious benefit. My mother-in-law always bought a few extra when they went on sale and stuck them in the freezer.
If you like this recipe leave me a comment and a 5-star rating!
I’ve got to do that this year too so we can make more of these sandwiches which are slathered with a mild brown sugar mustard sauce that just seeps into this sandwich and guarantees that every bite is going to be flavorful. It’s topped with a creamy caraway slaw that is smooth and adds another layer of flavor binding everything together.
Fun St. Patrick’s Day Facts
Until the 1970s, St. Patrick’s Day was a religious celebration in Ireland, and the pubs in the country were closed.
Now the Irish like a good celebration as much as the states. The observance of St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin, alone, has grown to a massive multi-day celebration where around 1 million people take part
Truth be told, corned beef and cabbage
I found a lot of fun facts about St. Patricks day from this article.
I really enjoyed reading up on St. Patricks Day. If that’s not your thing just scroll down for the recipe!
We really look forward to corned beef and cabbage, and usually, just make sandwiches with the leftovers. They were just sandwiches that is until this Corned Beef Sandwich recipe.
What else can I serve with Corned Beef?
What else can I make with Corned Beef Leftovers?
Corned Beef Cabbage Slaw Sandwich
- Corned Beef cooked and sliced or shaved thin
- Sandwich bread of your choice I choose seedless rye
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt I used fat-free
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp allspice approx 17 berries
- 1/2 tsp caraway seed
- Combine the sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- In a bowl or jar, combine lemon juice, yogurt, salt and honey
- In a small skillet, combine the mustard seed, allspice berries, and caraway seed. Heat until aromatic.
- Grind in a spice grinder and add to slaw ingredients.
- Stir to combine
- Spread sauce on both slices of bread. Add meat and top with slaw. Serve with additional sauce if desired.