Tropical Fruit Cocktail Salad is cool and creamy. With only 5 ingredients it comes together quickly and can be made ahead. Add extra cherries and you have a party!
This delicious recipe was first published in 2016 and was updated to improve reader experience.
I love making Fruit Salad with Cool Whip and the pudding gives it a thicker consistency while adding a bit of sweetness. You might call this a salad or a dessert. I call it cool, creamy, and delicious just like our Pineapple Cherry Fluff salad and Strawberry Cheesecake Salad. And, did you see the Fruit Salad Trifle Dessert?
Tropical Fruit Cocktail salad is one of those “
Now I am sure you are wondering if I’ve forgotten how to cook, but I just had to share this fruit salad with Cool Whip. It’s quick, easy, and perfect for any occasion.
When my kids were younger they always thought it was a special meal when I’d make this Fruit Cocktail salad. They loved it then and now make it for their families.
With the holidays, graduations, and nicer weather activities coming up, it’s nice to have a recipe that is quick and easy to make that can be made ahead of time so you can concentrate on more important things.
If you grew up with canned fruit cocktail, you knew that the one who opened the can
With this fruit cocktail salad, you can just leave it as is, or hey, go dump in enough cherries for everyone. The addition of the miniature marshmallows makes it fun for all.
When we have a potluck with the neighbors I always bring this fruit cocktail recipe. The kiddos dive in to get their share (of the cherries) before the adults can get their hands on it. It makes a good-sized fruit cocktail salad so it’s perfect for sharing.
What is Fruit Cocktail?
Fruit cocktail is a mixture of canned diced fruit in juice or syrup. It traditionally includes pears, peaches, grapes, and a maraschino cherry. The tropical version contains pineapple and papaya.
Dole Tropical Fruit instead of fruit cocktail. It has nice big pieces of fruit that aren’t mushy like some canned fruit. The traditional fruit cocktail can be interchanged
Ingredients for Tropical Fruit Cocktail with Cool Whip & Pudding Recipe
- Dole Tropical Fruit Cocktail – 15.25 oz can – Do not drain
- Cool Whip – 8 oz container. You can use any variety. I use “lite”.
- Crushed pineapple 15.25 oz can which is a medium-sized can.
- Miniature marshmallows
- Instant lemon pudding which is the 3.4 oz or small box. Do not make the pudding. We just use the powder.
Variations that you can make to Fruit Cocktail Salad
- Use different flavors of pudding. Vanilla, Lemon, and Coconut, are all delicious options.
- Add a cup of nuts. Pecans or macadamia would both be delicious.
- For a real tropical flair add toasted coconut.
- Add additional maraschino cherries to make the kiddos happy!
- Exchange Tropical Fruit salad with a traditional Fruit Cocktail.
- Use rainbow-colored miniature marshmallows.
Pin this to have on hand for when you need a quick delicious dish!
You May Need the following products:
- Trifle Bowl – Just because it’s a simple salad doesn’t mean it can’t be pretty! Serve it in this trifle bowl and guests will think it’s a little fancier than it is!
- Silicone Spatulas – This pretty set has a flat side and a curved side to take on your toughest job. I love that they are all one piece and can withstand 500°F! Throw out those old chipped ones and treat yourself!
Here are a few more recipes I think you’ll like!
Don’t forget to stop back and let me know how your Fruit Cocktail salad turned out.
Tropical Fruit Cocktail Salad
- 15.25 oz crushed pineapple (canned) Don't drain
- 15.25 oz Dole Tropical Fruit Cocktail (canned) Don't drain off the juice and chop in smaller pieces if desired.
- 3.4 oz instant lemon pudding (small box) You can also use vanilla or coconut
- 2 cups marshmallows – miniature
- 8 oz whipped topping – I used Cool Whip Free
Add additional Maraschino cherries or coconut if desired.
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple and Fruit Cocktail with the instant pudding powder. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the whipped topping and then the marshmallows.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
This recipe was calculated using the exact brands and measurements I used to make this recipe. If you are following a strict diet please note changing anything will cause the nutritional info to change. My calculations are intended as a guide only.