Peanut Butter Coffee Cake is a heavenly mixture of chocolate, peanut butter, and Nutella all under a crunchy layer of a peanut streusel and dark chocolate drizzle.
Do you ever see a recipe that you just can’t get out of your mind? Well, this Peanut Butter Coffee Cake Recipe was that recipe for me.
I picked up a copy of a magazine called “Southern Cast Iron” Winter 2017 edition. I’ve never seen this magazine before but the recipes looked amazing including the one for Peanut Butter Coffee Cake. I just couldn’t wait to try my hand at it.
From the title and the photograph, I knew I was going to be using chocolate and peanut butter. What I didn’t realize is that it also has a layer of Nutella. The streusel on this baby makes it one delicious peanut butter crumb cake.
The only problem I have with this whole darned thing is that I didn’t come up with it first!
When I was young(er) my mother made a delicious coffee cake and we ate it for breakfast!
I don’t know that I would feed this Peanut Butter Coffee Cake to my children for breakfast because they’d be bouncing off the walls once they got to school. I would surely eat it any time of day, however.
What is a coffee cake?
Coffee cake is cake flavored with or intended to be eaten with coffee.
It’s delicious any time but I tend to think of it as a legal way to eat cake for breakfast! The American version is a variety of a crumb cake like this Peanut Butter Coffee Cake recipe.
Tips for the Perfect Chocolate Peanut Butter Coffee Cake
- If you don’t care for Nutella (someone actually said this!) you could substitute it for any creamy spread. I would definitely use chocolate or chocolate peanut butter spread.
- I used a 10-inch cast-iron skillet instead of the 3 6-inch cast-iron skillets which is what the recipe called for. As a result, I had to bake mine 20 minutes longer until it tested done.
Chocolate, peanut butter, Nutella, streusel…what’s not to love? I need to get me some little skillets so I don’t have to share the next time I make it.
Well, maybe I will share it. My eyes are always bigger than my tummy but that doesn’t keep me from trying!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Coffee Cake recipe:
- Flour – All-purpose flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- Sugar – both white and brown sugar. My favorite brown sugar is dark but either is fine.
- Peanut Butter – I used creamy but crunchy would be delicious too.
- Dry Roasted Peanuts – Salted is what I chose. You could use lightly salted or nonsalted.
- Butter – I used unsalted. Since the peanuts and peanut butter contain salt I didn’t feel additional salt was needed in this recipe.
- Sour Cream – Gives this recipe a creamy consistency. You could use lite but I wouldn’t use non-fat.
- Milk – The recipe calls for whole milk and that’s what I used. I believe 2% would work as well.
- Nutella – This creamy hazelnut spread is amazing in this recipe but you could substitute it for another chocolate or peanut butter spread.
- Vanilla – I only use a pure vanilla extract.
- Baking Powder – Leavening agent for the cake is necessary.
- Eggs – I use large for all my recipes.
- Salt – leave it out if you use salted butter.
- Dark Chocolate – I use at least a 60% Cocoa
What you may need to make this Peanut Butter Coffee Cake Recipe:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, please see our disclosure.
- Cast Iron Skillet – I use cast-iron skillets whenever I can. There isn’t anything like them when it comes to browning food. They last forever, and they’re our favorite pan for camping too.
If you liked this recipe, I think you’ll enjoy these too.
- Chocolate Coffee Cake with Sour Cream
- Orange Streusel Coffee Cake
- Basic Muffin recipe
- Cherry Bread
- Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins
Pin it for later!
Our most POPULAR recipes!
- Overnight Sourdough Bread
- Fruit Cocktail Salad
- Pear Pie Filling
- Chocolate Trifle
- Italian Bread Recipe
- Swedish Apple Pie
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Peanut Butter Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp peanut butter I used creamy
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Melted dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 3-6″ cast iron skillets or a 10″ skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and brown sugar. Using a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and peanut butter until crumbly. Stir in the peanuts and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter, peanut butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, salt, and baking powder together. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour half of the batter in the skillet. Spoon Nutella over batter. Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 23-25 minutes for 6″ skillets or approximately 40 minutes for a 10-inch skillet. Loosely cover with foil to prevent excess browning if necessary.
- Garnish with melted chocolate.
Before you leave, here are some more peanut butter and Nutella recipes!
- Derby Pie Brownie Recipe
- Thick Fudgy Smores
- Double Chocolate Nutella Sandwich Cookies
- Stuffed French Toast with Strawberry and Nutella
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Nutella Salted Cheesecake Shooters
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!