Peanut Butter Coffee Cake is a heavenly mixture of chocolate, peanut butter, and Nutella all under a crunchy layer of a peanut streusel and dark chocolate drizzle.
THIS POST HAS BEEN UPGRADED FROM 3/8/17 TO IMPROVE READER EXPERIENCE.
Do you ever see a recipe that you just can’t get out of your mind? Well, this Peanut Butter Coffee Cake Recipe was that recipe for me.
I picked up a copy of a magazine called “Southern Cast Iron” Winter 2017 edition. I’ve never seen this magazine before but the recipes looked amazing including the one for Peanut Butter Coffee Cake. I just couldn’t wait to try my hand at it.
From the title and the photograph, I knew I was going to be using chocolate and peanut butter. What I didn’t realize is that it also has a layer of Nutella. The streusel on this baby makes it one delicious peanut butter crumb cake.
The only problem I have with this whole darned thing is that I didn’t come up with it first!
When I was young(er) my mother made a delicious coffee cake and we ate it for breakfast! I don’t know that I would feed this Peanut Butter Coffee Cake to my children for breakfast because they’d be bouncing off the walls once they got to school. I would surely eat it any time of day, however.
What is a coffee cake?
Coffee cake is cake flavored with or intended to be eaten with coffee. It’s delicious any time but I tend to think of it as a legal way to eat cake for breakfast! The American version is a variety of a crumb cake like this Peanut Butter Coffee Cake recipe.
Tips for the Perfect Chocolate Peanut Butter Coffee Cake
- If you don’t care for Nutella (someone actually said this!) you could substitute it for any creamy spread. I would definitely use chocolate or chocolate peanut butter spread.
- I used a 10-inch cast-iron skillet instead of the 3 6-inch cast-iron skillets which is what the recipe called for. As a result, I had to bake mine 20 minutes longer until it tested done.
Chocolate, peanut butter, Nutella, streusel…what’s not to love? I need to get me some little skillets so I don’t have to share the next time I make it.
Well, maybe I will share it. My eyes are always bigger than my tummy but that doesn’t keep me from trying!
IF YOU LIKE READING MY POSTS AND SEEING MY RECIPES, CONNECT WITH ME ON YOUR FAVORITE SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNEL FOR BEHIND THE SCENES PHOTOS AND MUCH, MUCH MORE:
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Coffee Cake recipe:
- Flour – All-purpose flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- Sugar – both white and brown sugar. My favorite brown sugar is dark but either is fine.
- Peanut Butter – I used creamy but crunchy would be delicious too.
- Dry Roasted Peanuts – Salted is what I chose. You could use lightly salted or nonsalted.
- Butter – I used unsalted. Since the peanuts and peanut butter contain salt I didn’t feel additional salt was needed in this recipe.
- Sour Cream – Gives this recipe a creamy consistency. You could use lite but I wouldn’t use non-fat.
- Milk – The recipe calls for whole milk and that’s what I used. I believe 2% would work as well.
- Nutella – This creamy hazelnut spread is amazing in this recipe but you could substitute it for another chocolate or peanut butter spread.
- Vanilla – I only use a pure vanilla extract.
- Baking Powder – Leavening agent for the cake is necessary.
- Eggs – I use large for all my recipes.
- Salt – leave it out if you use salted butter.
- Dark Chocolate – I use at least a 60% Cocoa
What you may need to make this Peanut Butter Coffee Cake Recipe:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, please see our disclosure.
- Cast Iron Skillet – I use cast-iron skillets whenever I can. There isn’t anything like them when it comes to browning food. They last forever, and they’re our favorite pan for camping too.
If you like this recipe, please comment below and leave me a 5-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review! Here are a few more recipes I think you’ll love!
Pin it for later!
Peanut Butter Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp peanut butter I used creamy
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Melted dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 3-6″ cast iron skillets or a 10″ skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and brown sugar. Using a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and peanut butter until crumbly. Stir in the peanuts and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter, peanut butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, salt, and baking powder together. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour half of the batter in the skillet. Spoon Nutella over batter. Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 23-25 minutes for 6″ skillets or approximately 40 minutes for a 10-inch skillet. Loosely cover with foil to prevent excess browning if necessary.
- Garnish with melted chocolate.
Here are some more peanut butter and Nutella recipes!
- Derby Pie Brownie Recipe
- Thick Fudgy Smores
- Double Chocolate Nutella Sandwich Cookies
- Stuffed French Toast with Strawberry and Nutella
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Nutella Salted Cheesecake Shooters
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!