There isn’t anything easier to prepare than Grilled Sweet Potato Packets. They’re the perfect delicious and healthy side dish.
The thing that I love about Grilled Sweet Potato Packets is that they are quick, delicious, and almost clean-up free. You can tailor the spices to your taste. We love rosemary, cayenne or just salt and pepper. When we are snowed in and can’t use the grill, they work just as well in the oven.
What’s funny is for the first 30 years of our marriage John said he didn’t like sweet potatoes. A few years back I make a sweet potato casserole with brown sugar, butter, and pecans. It converted John into a sweet potato lover instantly. Now we love these packets and don’t need all of the calories from the butter and sugar in that casserole but there is nothing lacking in the flavor department. These sweet potatoes are good for you and delicious. Oh, and cleanup can’t be any simpler either!
Don’t have time to make them now? Pin it for later!
Grilled Sweet Potato Packets
- 1 sweet potato
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- herbs (optional) I use rosemary and thyme
- Wash potato and remove any blemishes. I keep the skins on. There is a lot of vitamins in that skin! Slice in half lengthwise. With cut side down, cut 1/2 inch slices.
- Spray a piece of foil large enough to fan out the sliced potato. Lightly drizzle olive oil over potato slices. Sprinkle rosemary (fresh is best but dry will do), salt and pepper on the potatoes. Fold the foil to create a packet. You can also split the potato into two packets if the potato is large.
- Place on a preheated grill for 15 minutes or until done, turning over halfway through cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray or spray the pan directly. Spread out the potato slices on a baking sheet.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over potato slices. Sprinkle rosemary (fresh is best but dry will do), salt and pepper on the potatoes.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, turning the pan half-way through baking. The thicker the potatoes are sliced, and the more potatoes on the sheet determine how long they will take to bake. I set my timer for about 12 minutes as my halfway point. It usually tells me how close they are to being done. This small amount was done in 15 minutes, larger amounts may take twice that.
These sweet potatoes are so quick, easy and versatile. You can whip up some in no time. One of the dishes that I always make Sweet Potato Packets with is Turkey Sloppy Joes! It’s a match made in yummy heaven. Here are a couple more dishes that these Grilled Sweet Potato Packets are perfect with!
Are you a sweet potato lover? What is your favorite way to prepare them?