Baked Potato Soup Recipe is like a creamy loaded baked potato loaded with bacon, green onion, and more cheese! It’s delicious comfort food that will warm you from the inside out.
Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
I’ve got to come clean. I don’t like nor ever have I liked potato soup or scalloped potatoes. My mother frequently made both of those meals much to my dismay!
John doesn’t get it. Scalloped potatoes are served at all of the funerals around here and John is under strict orders that they don’t show up at mine. I’ve threatened him that I’ll haunt him for the rest of his life if they do.
Scalloped potatoes and potato soup were made very similarly in my opinion. Potatoes floating in
I love baked potatoes and the more you can pile on them the better. So in a weak moment, I decided to give my version of a loaded baked potato soup a try.
I think you’re going to love it. It’s a quick and easy potato soup recipe that gets my stamp of approval. I think I ate
Let me show you how easy it is to make this cheesy potato soup
The great thing about soup is you can make a little or a lot. Just increase or decrease the
Ingredients for creamy potato soup recipe
- russet potatoes
- cheddar cheese
- unsalted butter
- chicken stock
- whole milk
- salt and pepper
- green onion (optional garnish)
Steps to make easy potato soup
- cook potatoes
- Saute onions
- bake bacon
- Smash cooked potatoes
- add flour to milk
- combine ingredients and heat through
- serve and garnish as desired
- One of the things I love about baked potatoes is the skin. So I left it on them on. I used russet potatoes because they are firmer and less likely to become mushy! So cut them in large 2-inch chunks and don’t let them overcook. Cover the potatoes in chicken stock instead of water for added flavor.
- You don’t have to bake the bacon. You can cook it in the skillet with the onion. I bake it because even though it’s delicious, I wanted the fat in my soup.
- The soup will thicken as it heats through so don’t attempt to thin it or thicken it until it’s hot (simmering)
Variations you can make
- Use a similar firm potato such as Yukon Gold
- Replace whole milk with cream or half and half
- Use ham instead of bacon or leave both out for a vegetarian option
- Add fresh or dried herbs such as thyme and rosemary
You can find all of our soup, stew, and chili recipes here!
Here are a few more recipes you may enjoy
Don’t forget to stop back and let me know how your Cheesy Baked Potato Soup Turned out!
Hostess At Heart participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.