Doesn’t the name say it all?
I never thought that I was that picky when it came to frosting. The canned stuff is edible right? Then I made my own from scratch and it was not only easy, but it tasted better too. From there, the original recipe that I used then doesn’t much resemble the one that I use now. The following recipe is:
- Not greasy
- Holds up
I use my stand mixer, and add two sticks of softened butter (1 cup). Mix on medium speed until smooth. Add one cup of sifted unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix until thoroughly blended.
Alternating, add 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of evaporated milk until you have added 4 cups (1 pound) of powdered sugar. You can use the milk of your choice, but I do like using evaporated milk.
Add 3 to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup. This step is optional, but I think it gives the frosting a nice sheen. Add more evaporated milk if frosting needs thinned. Beat until light and fluffy.
Keep frosting covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use. Extra frosting can be frozen!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature - salted or unsalted
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar (confectioners'sugar)
- 4-5 tbsp evaporated milk - any milk or cream will work
- 3-4 tbsp light corn syrup (optional)
- Cream the butter in an electric stand or hand mixer until smooth. Add the sifted unsweetened cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Mix until blended.
- With the mixer on low, alternating, add 1 cup of powdered sugar to 1 tablespoon evaporated milk until all of the sugar has been added.
- Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of light corn syrup if desired.
- Add additional evaporated milk 1 teaspoon at a time if necessary to thin the frosting, and beat until light and fluffy. Add additional powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time to thicken the frosting.
- Keep icing covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]