Prize Mahogany Chocolate Cake is a luscious tender chocolate cake that is easy to make and easy to eat. It definitely deserves its place among family favorites.
Digging through the beautiful recipe box that my Mother-In-Law (MIL) gifted me with, I came across a card titled just “Prize Mahogany”.
I wasn’t sure what it was for and certainly never would I have guessed that it was this Chocolate Cake!
As I described when I made the Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup Cake.
I called my MIL, and asked her what was a Prize Mahogany?
She stated that this was a chocolate cake that was her mother’s “go-to” recipe, and one that she’s made several times.
That would make this recipe at least 80 years old!
I was intrigued, but missing in the instructions was:
- the size of the pan
- the baking temperature
- what kind of chocolate she used
- what in the world is sweetened milk? I thought it was like the Eagle Brand milk, but she stated it’s just milk.
She also stated that they always baked cakes in two 8 or 9 inch round pans and layered the cake, and the flour was something that resembled cake flour today.
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
I was up for a challenge and decided to give it a go. I had two 9-inch round pans and it worked well. I believe 8-inch pans would have been better. This is not a very tall cake even with two layers.
The ingredients are very simple and the cake is very easy to make. I believe that you could use semi-sweet or dark chocolate in this cake too.
This cake was so good. I was so glad that I made it as closely as I could to the original recipe.
The crumb was chocolatey and moist, and I think it was a great choice to frost it with a simple chocolate buttercream.
The steps are all my own. They weren’t listed on the recipe, but I use this same method for almost every cake that I make.
Here are a few cake recipes I think you’ll enjoy
- Spice Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Black Russian Cake
- Bananas Foster Cake with Praline Glaze
- Peanut Butter Coffee Cake
- Lemon Pudding Poke Cake
- Chocolate Raspberry Pound Cake
- Peach Rum Cake
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Prize Mahogany Chocolate Cake
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated chocolate I used unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. I also recommend lining with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, cook chocolate and milk together until thickened. Stir frequently. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Combine butter and sugar in an electric stand mixer. Beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking soda and cake flour. Mix together, and add to sugar/butter mixture. Beat to combine.
- Stir in cooled chocolate mixture.
- Pour into baking pans and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes and then remove from pan.
- Homemade Muffins
- Overnight Sourdough Bread
- Fruit Cocktail Salad
- Pear Pie Filling
- Swedish Apple Pie
- Peach Sauce
- Chocolate Trifle
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!