Black Russian Cake with Kahlua filling and a chocolate ganache is rich, creamy and delicious. It’s a rich decadent chocolate cake that is quick and easy, and perfect for any occasion.
This Black Russian Cake is a deep chocolate moist cake that is perfect for any occasion. If you like Kahlua, you’re going to love this cake.
I used to occasionally drink an adult beverage called a Black Russian. It’s made with Kahlua and Vodka. These babies pack a punch, and if I had more than one,
I was either the life of the party or down for the count. I’m a little more responsible nowadays, but hey, they were delicious!
I have no restraint when it comes to my Black Russian Cake with an amazing Kahlua filling, however!
This cake may look a little fancy but it’s quick and easy, and actually starts out using a cake mix.
No one would ever know because this Kahlua chocolate cake with it’s creamy filling and chocolate ganache is delicious.
I baked this decadent chocolate cake in a tube pan, also known as an angel food cake pan because I wanted a flat top for decorating. You could also use a bundt pan.
Don’t forget to pin this delicious recipe to your favorite board!
I applied a thin crumb coat using buttercream frosting, thinking that my Kahlua ganache would flow smoother. That step isn’t necessary. My ganache was still a bit thick so, while not perfect, it was still delicious.
You could just drizzle a glaze over the top and call it done too.
I was inspired to make this cake after I learned how to make modeling chocolate. I wanted a special chocolate cake to decorate.
The technique is a lot of fun, and I hope you will give this cake and the technique a try.
This boozy chocolate cake looks a little intimidating, but it’s so easy to make. You don’t have to go crazy decorating like I did. A smooth ganache drizzle and you’re good to go.
Most popular cake recipes
- Spice Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Peanut Butter Coffee Cake
- Mahogany Cake
- Lemon Pudding Poke Cake
- Peach Rum Cake
- Chocolate Syrup Cake
- Bananas Foster Cake with Praline Glaze
- Champagne Cake
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Black Russian Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 box of chocolate pudding not instant, cook and serve
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vodka I used 360 double chocolate vodka
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 10 oz dark bar chocolate Do not use chocolate chips
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream * make sure it’s not “Ultra-Pasteurized”
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease tube or bundt pan.
- Combine all of the cake ingredients together, and mix until combined. Pour into the cake pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow pan to cool at least 15 minutes. Run a knife around the perimeter of the pan and turn onto a cooling rack.
- Using a skewer, poke holes into the cake. Mix Kahlua and powdered sugar together until smooth. Pour over the cake.
- Chop chocolate bar into small pieces. I don’t use chocolate chips for this because they contain stabilizers to keep their shape during baking. I don’t measure the whipped cream, I just pour it over the chocolate until most of the chocolate is covered. Probably close to a cup. Don’t choose Ultra-Pasteurized cream because it can contain water that will seize your chocolate. Microwave at 50% power one minute at a time. Stir after each minute until smooth. Add additional cream to thin if necessary, one tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Glaze or cover cake with ganache. Allow to set up (or freeze briefly) before any additional decorating.