Black Russian Cake with Kahlua filling and a chocolate ganache is rich, creamy and delicious. It’s a rich decadent chocolate cake that is quick and easy, and perfect for any occasion.
This Black Russian Cake is a deep chocolate moist cake that is perfect for any occasion. If you like Kahlua, you’re going to love this cake.
I used to occasionally drink an adult beverage called a Black Russian. It’s made with Kahlua and Vodka. These babies pack a punch, and if I had more than one,
I was either the life of the party or down for the count. I’m a little more responsible nowadays, but hey, they were delicious!
I have no restraint when it comes to my Black Russian Cake with an amazing Kahlua filling, however!
This cake may look a little fancy but it’s quick and easy, and actually starts out using a cake mix.
No one would ever know because this Kahlua chocolate cake with it’s creamy filling and chocolate ganache is delicious.
I baked this decadent chocolate cake in a tube pan, also known as an angel food cake pan because I wanted a flat top for decorating. You could also use a bundt pan.
Don’t forget to pin this delicious recipe to your favorite board!
I applied a thin crumb coat using buttercream frosting, thinking that my Kahlua ganache would flow smoother. That step isn’t necessary. My ganache was still a bit thick so, while not perfect, it was still delicious.
You could just drizzle a glaze over the top and call it done too.
IF YOU LIKE READING MY POSTS AND SEEING MY RECIPES, CONNECT WITH ME ON YOUR FAVORITE SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNEL FOR BEHIND THE SCENES PHOTOS AND MUCH, MUCH MORE:
I was inspired to make this cake after I learned how to make modeling chocolate. I wanted a special chocolate cake to decorate.
The technique is a lot of fun, and I hope you will give this cake and the technique a try.
This boozy chocolate cake looks a little intimidating, but it’s so easy to make. You don’t have to go crazy decorating like I did. A smooth ganache drizzle and you’re good to go.
Most popular cake recipes
- Spice Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Peanut Butter Coffee Cake
- Mahogany Cake
- Lemon Pudding Poke Cake
- Peach Rum Cake
- Chocolate Syrup Cake
- Bananas Foster Cake with Praline Glaze
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Black Russian Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 box of chocolate pudding not instant, cook and serve
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vodka I used 360 double chocolate vodka
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 10 oz dark bar chocolate Do not use chocolate chips
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream * make sure it’s not “Ultra-Pasteurized”
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease tube or bundt pan.
- Combine all of the cake ingredients together, and mix until combined. Pour into the cake pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow pan to cool at least 15 minutes. Run a knife around the perimeter of the pan and turn onto a cooling rack.
- Using a skewer, poke holes into the cake. Mix Kahlua and powdered sugar together until smooth. Pour over the cake.
- Chop chocolate bar into small pieces. I don’t use chocolate chips for this because they contain stabilizers to keep their shape during baking. I don’t measure the whipped cream, I just pour it over the chocolate until most of the chocolate is covered. Probably close to a cup. Don’t choose Ultra-Pasteurized cream because it can contain water that will seize your chocolate. Microwave at 50% power one minute at a time. Stir after each minute until smooth. Add additional cream to thin if necessary, one tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Glaze or cover cake with ganache. Allow to set up (or freeze briefly) before any additional decorating.
Most popular recipes
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!