Champagne cake is a soft and tender pound cake with the essence of champagne. It’s perfect for a simple brunch or a special occasion.
This post has been updated from 2015 to improve reader experience.
Champagne cake is a great way to celebrate any event. This Champagne Pound Cake recipe is delicious and exactly what’s needed to turn a casual event into something special.
This recipe for Champagne Cake is more of a pound cake, meaning that it’s a little denser than a traditional layer cake.
That makes it perfect for soaking up all that champagne. You’ll get the essence of champagne. It’s not super boozy, just enough for a great celebration.
You’ll love how easy this cake is to make. While I love dressing up some of our desserts, that’s not always the case, such as with this champagne pound cake. It’s delicious simplicity.
Ingredients and variables
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Butter – we use real unsalted butter but a substitute would work too. If you use salted butter cut the salt in the recipe in half.
- Eggs – we use large eggs
- Almond extract – substitute with vanilla or lemon.
- Fresh raspberries
- Champagne – Prosecco or Cava can be substituted.
- Powdered sugar
How to make this Champagne Pound Cake Recipe
One of the things that we love about this Champagne Dessert is that it’s soft, tender, moist, and there are 2 opportunities to infuse it with Champagne!
Tip: We recommend mixing this cake and the glaze by hand versus an electric mixer. You don’t want to over-mix this cake or it will get tough.
Does the Alcohol Bake off?
The alcohol does not totally bake out. A percentage does and it’s dependent on how long it cooks. According to the USDA it takes 2 1/2 hours to cook all of the alcohol out of food.
For this reason, this cake shouldn’t be consumed by anyone that shouldn’t consume alcohol.
Mix up the Champagne Cake
- Combine the dry ingredients – Flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl add the melted and cooled butter, sugar, and buttermilk. Cream these ingredients together. Add eggs one at a time blending after each addition.
- Add the champagne and almond extract and blend until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and pour into a prepared pan.
Champagne Cake Glaze
Whisk the powdered sugar, almond extract, and Champagne together until smooth. Add a little more champagne if the glaze is too thick or add powdered sugar if the glaze is too thin.
The consistency should allow a thick pour.
Items you may need
Sweet cakes for any occasion!
We LOVE Dessert! You can find all of our dessert recipes here!
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
More recipes perfect for entertaining
- Boozy Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Lamb Bites
- Stuffed Portobella Mushrooms with Crab
- Italian Empanadas
Champagne Cake with Champagne Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup champagne still bubbly
Champagne Glaze Ingredients
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons champagne
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with a nonstick cooking spray containing flour, or grease and flour the pan. Set aside
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir the melted and cooled butter, sugar, and buttermilk, together. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending after each addition. Add the almond extract and champagne and stir to combine. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes watching it closely the last 10 minutes. Cover the cake if it starts to get too brown. The cake is done when a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cooled cake from the pan and place it on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet.
- To make the Champagne glaze, whisk the powdered sugar, almond extract, and champagne, 1 tablespoon at a time, together until you have the right consistency. Drizzle over the cake. Chill to set.
- Store loosely covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.