Upside-Down Peach Cake with Hot Rum Sauce is one of the most amazing cakes I’ve ever eaten. There’s nothing like the combination of brown sugar, peaches, and warm rum.
John and I recently spent a week in Colorado. It was just beautiful and Fall was showing that it was on the way. We were lucky enough to be out there at the perfect time to get some of their famous peaches. Perfect for an Upside-Down Peach Cake with Hot Rum Sauce.
Why is it that when you buy fruit it seems like it’s going to take a week to ripen, and then within a day or two your under the gun to use it or loose it. I bought two dozen peaches in Colorado and they were all as big as softballs, meaning that one was going to go a long way. I gave 10 of them away so still had over a dozen to use.
I’ve been hanging on to this pineapple upside-down cake recipe that I wanted to eventually try. Had I known how amazingly delicious it was going to be, I would’ve been making it from the minute I saw it. John said that using the peaches had to be even better than pineapple.
This cake was warm and delicious and I could have drunk that rum sauce. One note is I baked it in a tall-sided 9-inch cake pan. The recipe said to put it on a baking sheet for possible spills. I’m glad that I did because that baby bubbled over. I believe that a tall 10-inch pan would have worked well, and I would still sit it on a baking sheet.
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
Peach Upside-Down Cake with Hot Rum Glaze
- 3 peaches skins and pits removed* and sliced in 1/2-inch slices
- 8 tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 8 tbsp salted butter melted
Hot Rum Sauce
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray the inside of a tall-sided 9 or 10-inch round cake pan.
- In a medium-sized saucepan combine butter, salt, brown sugar and dark rum. Cook over medium heat until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat and cool for no more than two minutes. Pour mixture into cake pan.
- Arrange the peach slices in the bottom of the cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together cake flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt. Add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, dark rum and melted butter. Whisk together until batter forms. Don't over mix or crumb will be dense. Pour batter over peach caramel layer and bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool pan exactly 4 minutes. Run the blunt edge of a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Invert the hot cake onto a serving platter and let cake at least 20 minutes before serving it with Rum Sauce.
Hot Rum Sauce
- In a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, bring cream, sugar, vanilla, salt and rum to a boil whisking occasionally to combine. Once boiling, turn off the heat. Serve warm or at room temperature.
As amazing as this cake is, here are a few more that we love!