Really Good Green Mole Chicken Enchiladas – Zacatecas-Style are so flavorful and will take over as your favorite Enchiladas!
I thought enchiladas always had red enchilada sauce on them. When I opened the can, the sauce was red? I’m here to tell you these Really Good Green Mole Chicken Enchiladas will be changing what you thought really good enchiladas were and, there isn’t a can involved!
Zacatecas is a city in North-Central Mexico. They have a rich mining history and a vast list of foods traditional to the country. Enchiladas, tortas, and stewed foods are common.
For John and I, it all started at a Mexican restaurant that we used to go to that served a spicy green salsa made from tomatillos. It wasn’t long that we were trying to recreate it and my tacos and now my enchiladas were topped or stuffed with spicy green sauces.
Our local newspaper posted this recipe over a year ago. Even though it took me a while to get around to making it, I always knew it was just waiting for me.
When I dove into it, it didn’t take me long to figure out that there were some serious errors in their writing of this recipe. Of course, I did what any human being would do…I googled it.
It was very evident that this recipe had been adapted from a recipe that had appeared in Saveur. By the time I looked it up, I already had my chicken cooked and deboned.
Well, the recipe is actually for a whole chicken cut and served in 8 pieces or 6 servings. I’m totally happy with the way that I made it. It went so much farther not to mention so deliciously wrapped in tortillas topped with this delicious fresh tomatillo, cilantro and jalapeno sauce.
If you like this recipe, take a look at these!
- The Ultimate Spicy Tacos Al Pastor Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- Frozen Margarita Pie
- Raspberry Jalapeno Shrimp Tacos
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
WHAT’S POPULAR NOW!
- Homemade Muffins
- Overnight Sourdough Bread
- Chocolate Trifle
- Pear Pie Filling
- Italian Bread Recipe
- Swedish Apple Pie
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The next time I make this recipe, I’ll do it exactly the same way.
Really Good Green Mole Chicken Enchiladas – Zacatecas-Style
- 1 whole chicken 3-4 pounds
- 1 bunch cilantro tops and stems separated
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 large yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz fresh tomatillos 6-8, peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapenos seeds and ribs removed and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 of the tops of the cilantro bunch
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 flour tortillas torn in large pieces
- Corn or flour tortillas toasted
- Remaining cilantro leaves chopped
- Garnishes such as Cotija cheese avocados, tomatoes
- In a 7 quart dutch oven or stock pot cook the chicken, cilantro stems, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and 12 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked completely, approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from saucepan and strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer. Reserve 4 cups of the liquid and save the remaining liquid for another use. (Mine is in the freezer for another recipe).
- Let chicken cool and remove the skin and bones. Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the tomatillos and jalapenos in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until dark and thickened. Transfer to a blender and add cilantro leaves, salt, garlic, torn tortillas, and 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid. Blend until pureed. Add the sauce to a 6-quart saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until thickened to a paste. Add remaining 3 cups reserved liquid. Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium, stirring until reduced and thickened, approximately 30 minutes. Add chicken and cook until heated through.
- Add chicken mixture to a tortilla and wrap tightly. Garnish with sauce, and optional toppings such as avocados, tomatoes, and additional cilantro.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!