Stuffed Pepper Soup is a play stuffed peppers, one of my very favorite recipes while growing up.
I grew up in a farming community where a lot of the work and social activities revolved around planting or harvesting crops.
Everyone shared produce. We never needed a farmers market. If we had more tomatoes than what we needed we shared.
So did everyone else. We would have loved this Stuffed Pepper Soup!
One of the dishes my mother made, that I loved, was stuffed peppers. It was a mixture of ground beef, rice and tomato sauce baked inside a green pepper.
I knew that John wasn’t going to love eating an entire baked green pepper, so I thought I would take the same ingredients and make a soup.
If John didn’t care for it, it was still something that I could freeze in individual portions and eat when I was on my own for dinner.
When I make soup, I always make extra. It might be my upbringing, but I love having it in my freezer on those snowy evenings.
We also love leftovers, and mushy rice won’t do so I actually add in the rice as I’m serving it and store it in a separate container for future yumminess.
Turns out I didn’t have a thing to worry about. John loved this soup as much as I did and I can’t wait to pull the leftovers out of the freezer when the snow flies!
I eat soup all year long. Here are a few of my favorite recipes!
- Creamy Roasted Vegetable Soup
- Healthier Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Cheesy Potato Soup
- Easy Vegetable Soup
- Lamb Pho
Don’t forget to pin this delicious recipe to your favorite board!
I would love it if you enjoy this recipe that you will leave me a comment and rate the recipe with 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1 cup long grain brown rice cooked according to package directions
- 1 lb spicy pork sausage
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 green peppers diced (3 cups)
- 1 large yellow onion diced (3 cups)
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 16 oz cans tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 32 oz fat free beef broth
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- In a large pot heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, add beef and sausage. Cook until browned. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon olive oil and add onions and green pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, basil, and oregano. Cook for 30 seconds. Pour in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, and browned meat. Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer at least 30 minutes.
- If you plan on having leftovers, don’t add the rice to the pot of soup. Just add it to each individual bowl.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers in an airtight covered container.