Chocolate Meringue Stars are a delicious cookie with a soft center and a nice little crunch on the outside. They are pretty to look at and easy to make!
My husband John has always loved meringue. For birthday desserts he usually requests a pie topped with meringue. Nine times out of ten it’s a Pineapple Cream Pie. John’s mother often made him meringue cookies which John Loves (the capital L on love is intentional). To me, they are a little boring. I can take them or leave them. That is until I tried Chocolate Meringue Stars.
When I made my Caramelized Pear Kolaches, I had leftover egg whites that I plopped in the fridge for another day. Looking for a way to use them, I came across a recipe for Chocolate Meringue Stars. They looked so easy to put together. I knew John would love them too. Did you know that chocolate is what keeps our love strong? We often bond over chocolate.
These little gems came out so pretty and they are delicious. Now, I’d rather take them than leave them.
Don’t have time to make them now? Pin it for later!
A beautiful Chocolate Meringue Stars cookie that has a soft center and a delicate crunch on the exterior
- 3 egg whites room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa sifted
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or squares
- 1 tbsp shortening
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Sift cocoa over egg whites and gently fold until combined. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip (#1M or #8b). Pipe 1 1/4 inch stars on a baking sheet. O.k. to crowd but don't touch.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on a rack.
- In a microwave or double boiler, melt semi-sweet chocolate with shortening. Stir until smooth. Dip 1/2 of each cookie in the chocolate and place on parchment or wax paper to set.
Recipe adapted from 1999 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
I love a great cookie and these are great cookies. Here are a few more of my favorites!