Spicy Chili Con Carne recipe is a thick stew that will warm you from the inside-out. This filling dish is rich and packed with flavor! The Instant Pot makes it a 30-minute meal.
Chili Con Carne is a warm spicy dish that is stuffed with meat and warm flavors. It’s filling and versatile. This dish makes a great stew but would also make an amazing enchilada filling. Being an Instant Pot recipe, it makes this simple chili recipe perfect to throw together after a long day of work or in between errands.
There are several reasons that it’s the perfect time to make this Chili Con Carne recipe!
- National Chili Day is February 28
- Cinco de Mayo is May 5
- It’s Freaky Friday Winter Edition!
Freaky Friday Winter arrived just in time. The Freaky Friday blog hop, organized by Michaela who runs An Affair From the Heart, is a group of bloggers that are secretly assigned each others’ blogs from which we choose a recipe appropriate for the theme. The blog that I was given was Aunt Bee’s Recipes.
Brandi is the creator of Aunt Bee’s Recipes and is certainly a busy bee with two children and a hubby. She states that when she got married she couldn’t boil water but now loves pouring through cookbooks and cooking for her family.
Her blog Aunt Bee’s Recipes have some amazing recipes that are perfect for the busy family. I had a heck of a time deciding which recipe to pick. I really had my eye on her Crockpot Jalapeno Popper Crack Chicken or her Butterfinger Poke cake but once I saw her Chili Con Carne recipe I knew I found the first recipe to try.
Chili con carne or
When it comes to the story of chili, tales and myths abound. While many food historians agree that chili con carne is an American dish with Mexican roots, Mexicans are said to indignantly deny any association with the dish.
Chili Con Carne Ingredients
- Sirloin steak or roast
- onion – I used a yellow onion but you can use a white onion or even a sweet vadalia onion.
- bell pepper – Green pepper or the bell pepper of your choice.
- garlic – I used fresh garlic.
- jalapeno – Fresh jalapenos. Feel free to add a mixture of green chile peppers. Poblano or Hatch would be amazing.
- crushed tomatoes – I bought canned crushed tomatoes.
- lime – fresh lime
- chili powder – I use pure chili powder. Look at the label. A lot of chili powders include other ingredients!
- beef broth – or beef stock. I use low fat, low sodium.
- salt & pepper
You May Need
Instant Pot – I really recommend this Instant Pot. It has been so easy getting to know. I have the 8-quart size but the 6-quart size would be adequate for most recipes.
We love Chili and Mexican-inspired flavors. This Easy Chile Con Carne recipe delivered on both. I loved how easy this recipe was and I’ll be making it a regular in our house.
Here are a couple more recipes I think you’ll love!
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork Tacos
- Poblano Pork Stew over Tomatillo Rice
- Chili without Beans recipe
- Instant Pot Lamb Lentil Chili
- Instant Pot Pork Green Chili with Beans
- Best Chili Recipe (Beef)
- Sweet Potato & Black Been Chili
We used the following buttercream frosting for this delicious little monster. You could also use an Easy Vanilla Frosting that’s light and fluffy.
Spicy Chili Con Carne – Instant Pot Recipe
- 3 tbs vegetable oil or butter*
- 2 lbs sirloin sliced thinly
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno minced – remove ribs & seeds
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add vegetable oil to the instant pot and set to saute. Cook the sliced steak until browned in batches. Avoid overcrowding. Remove steak and place it on a plate or in a bowl. Continue until all of the meat is browned.
- Add onions and bell pepper to the instant pot. Saute for 5 minutes and then add the minced garlic and jalapeno. Saute for an additional minute.
- Add the meat back to the instant pot with the sauteed vegetables. Add tomatoes, lime juice, sugar, chili powder, beef broth, salt, and pepper.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and turn to close. Close pressure release valve. Set the pot for 12 minutes on high pressure. When finished, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then manually release pressure.
- Garnish with cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and tortilla chips.
See what else is cooking from my Freaky Friday friends!
Take a look at all of our Winter Freaky Friday Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Coconut Mug Cake
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Creamy Gorgonzola Pasta with Steak
- Bowl Me Over – Best Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Hostess at Heart – Chili Con Carne
- Kylee Cooks – Banana Cream Parfaits
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Chicken Bacon Penne Alfredo Casserole
- Lemon Blossoms – Valentine’s Day Dessert Nachos
- Mildly Meandering – Tiramisu Latte
- House of Nash Eats – Philly Cheesesteak Dip
- Seduction in the Kitchen – Chicken Lime Soup
- Take Two Tapas – Taco Tater Tots
- The Foodie Affair – Slow Cooked Meatballs
- The Speckled Palate – Boozy Bacon Pretzel Peanut Butter Bars
- West Via Midwest – Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Who Needs a Cape? – Cajun Chicken Meatballs in Cajun Cream Sauce