This Addictive Caramel Crispix Snack Mix is so good that people will ask you not to make it. One batch will keep you and a ton of your friends munching all day long!
Do you have one of those recipes that you had somewhere and made them give you the recipe before you left? I got this Addictive Caramel Crispix Snack Mix recipe just that way.
When our children were in grade school we used to get together with some of the parents of their classmates that we met through school functions. On one of those get-togethers, one of the mothers made this snack mix and the rest is history. I can’t say where she got it but I’ve been making it at least once a year for the last 20 years.
We were recently invited to a friend’s house to watch the local college football game. I asked what I could bring and they said a sweet snack. John responded that we had the perfect thing. He asked that I make this Crispix Snack mix. This recipe will cover three rimmed baking sheets and it’s cooked in the microwave in a brown paper bag so there isn’t a mess! I packed up two of the pans by putting it into a plastic ziplock bags and took a pretty dish to pour it into once we got there.
We’ve been taking this Caramel Crispix Snack Mix to our friend’s houses ever since we first tried it. We have some friends that have forbade us from bringing it because once you get started, it’s just too hard to stop munching.
Can’t make it now? Pin it for later!
Addictive Caramel Crispix Snack Mix
- 18 oz Crispix cereal Rice chex also works
- 1 lb peanuts salted or lightly salted
- 1 lb M&M candies or chocolate coated candy pieces
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup I used Karo Syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 brown paper bags grocery bag size
- Place one paper bag inside the other and pour cereal, peanuts, and M&M candies into it.
- Add brown sugar, butter, Karo syrup and salt to a large saucepan. Boil for 1-1/2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda. Be careful because the mixture will foam up and be very hot. Pour into the paper bag over the cereal mixture.
- Roll the top of the bag down and shake to distribute the sugar mixture throughout the cereal mixture. Heat bag in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove and reshake. Return to the microwave for a total of 3 times.
- Spread out on rimmed cookie sheets to dry for a couple hours or overnight. Occasionally break up the mix. Store dried mix in an airtight container.
I can’t believe these friends hadn’t had it before but we now have more friends that are addicted to this snack. John was going to take the last bag to work so he didn’t eat it all. Well, it didn’t make it to work and he didn’t eat it all. I helped!
I love to snack and here are a couple more of my favorites!