This Ham and Cheese Mushroom Strata Recipe is easy and can be made ahead which makes it perfect for entertaining and the holidays!
This Ham and Cheese Mushroom Strata Recipe is so easy and delicious. It’s magical the way this simple dish comes together and I love that it can be made ahead.
We love to entertain, but I used to make the mistake of trying to do too much. I was chasing my tail off and freaking out about everything. I was a “Martyr Host” serving and waiting on people and looking for accolades instead of chilling and enjoying their company the way that they wanted me to.
Well, I’m over that. I found that I wasn’t getting people together because it was too much work. John was totally the opposite. He would invite people over without a plan. That also freaked me out! Since then, we’ve discovered a happy medium and our ultimate goal is having a great time.
One of my favorite meals is brunch. Especially during the holidays. Everyone is so busy that it’s hard to get together. I added fruit and a bright Pinot Gris that went really well with my dish. I also picked up a Prosecco and some delicious O.J. to add another beverage option.
This Ham and Cheese Mushroom Strata Recipe can be put together in under 15 minutes and then refrigerated until you need it. Here’s how I made it.
One of the things that I loved about this ham is how many ways there were to repurpose it into other meals.
- We sliced it and packaged it in week-long serving size bags for lunches.
- Fried up ham steaks served with a baked sweet potato for another dinner
- Ham and Bean soup
- Diced it up in this amazing Ham and Cheese Mushroom Strata Recipe
Ham and Cheese Mushroom Strata Recipe
- 8 cups baguette cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- 1 cup swiss cheese shredded
- 2 1/2 cups milk I used skim - any is fine
- 8 ounces ham cubed
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 8 eggs
- In a large bowl whisk eggs together until smooth. Add 1 cup cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, milk, ham, mushrooms, thyme, ground mustard, pepper, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom evenly with the cubed bread. Pour egg mixture over the cubed bread. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove the dish from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.