Italian Ground Beef Goulash is a spin on a classic that everyone’s going to love. Goulash is comfort food at it’s finest and makes the perfect anytime meal!
There are as may recipes for goulash as there are people that make it. You’re going to love this Italian Ground Beef Goulash recipe. It’s simple to make and delicious to eat!
What in the heck is goulash?
Wikipedia defines goulash as: is a stew of meat, usually seasoned with paprika and other spices.
Well, my mama didn’t have this definition. Her recipe was ground beef cooked with onions, some elbow macaroni, and tomato juice.
Salt and pepper were her spices. Paprika would have been a foreign word.
As simple as she made it, we LOVED it! Especially with a piece of store-bought white bread smeared with butter on the side.
Goulash is comfort food regardless of how you define it. With the weather getting cooler, I was craving me some goulash…Julie style (whatever that means).
Actually, I like using spices and spice blends. Spice blends are a great way to add a spice profile without having to buy 9 different kinds of spices.
I used Cavatappi because it has little ridges that hold all that saucy goodness. It’s also a little thicker so it will not get mushy.
This is a simple recipe that makes it perfect for a weeknight meal.
I have a pretty consistent habit of cooking more than we can eat. This recipe is also perfect for freezing.
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
Truthfully there are as many goulash recipes as there are people that make it. I don’t even know if they have “goulash” in Italy but I know that they have versions using the same ingredients regardless of what they call it.
If you liked this easy dinner recipe, here are a few more you may enjoy
Italian Ground Beef Goulash Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 carrots sliced thin
- 3 celery stalks sliced thin
- 1 green pepper diced
- 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes **crushed by hand
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 16 oz Cavatappi pasta *cooked
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese plus additional for garnish
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh parsley chopped as an additional garnish if desired
- In a large skillet or dutch oven combine ground beef and diced onion. Cook until beef is no longer pink. Remove beef and onion from the pan and set aside. Add carrots, green pepper, and celery to the beef juices and cook until they just start to soften. Don’t overcook.
- Drain meat juices from the pan if necessary. Add all remaining ingredients back into the pan except for the cooked pasta. Stir to combine and let cook until extra juices cook down. Add pasta and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve in bowls and top with additional parmesan cheese and fresh parsley if desired.
What is your version? I’d love it if you would share!
I get how tough it can be to cook for the family when you’re working and everyone has their activities. Here are a few more recipes that are easy to make and delicious to eat.