Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Tacos recipe is loaded with a spicy juicy shredded chicken. This hands-off recipe takes the guesswork out of what’s for dinner!
This post has been upgraded from 4/25/16 to improve reader experience.
Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Tacos start with a simple paste that infuses into a delicious juicy shredded chicken taco recipe with a kick!
I don’t use a crockpot nearly as much as I should. It’s an easy way to plan dinner when you don’t have a lot of hands-on time. That isn’t the only reason, it’s a great way to infuse flavors.
The only tacos that I knew how to make were with ground beef seasoned with a spice packet called taco seasoning. It was a quick meal and we loved them. That is until we had a taste of what Chipotle Chicken Tacos tasted like.
We loved going out and trying other Mexican dishes. At the time I had no clue what was in them. So when I started making a lot of our own crockpot shredded chicken tacos at home, I wanted a flavorful spice combination. We wanted to infuse the meat with flavor, not boil it. This chipotle taco recipe was the way to go!
I had a few questions regarding chipotle taco seasoning options:
|What is Chipotle? Chipotle is a jalapeno pepper that has been smoked. The Aztecs found that the jalapeno doesn’t dry as well as other peppers because of it’s thicker walls so they smoked them as a way to preserve them.|
|Is Chipotle spicier than a jalapeno? Generally yes because Chipotle is made using a red, fully ripened jalapeno.|
|What is adobo? Adobo can have separate meanings. We’re referring to the spicy sauce that’s intensely red due to paprika. This chipotle marinated in this sauce is called Chipotle in Adobe sauce and is what’s used here.|
This Chipotle Chicken Taco recipe is spicy enough for my tastes. That isn’t the case with John. I swear he has a cast-iron stomach. The heat in these tacos comes from Chipotle Chilies in Adobo. The heat can be adjusted according to your tastes.
How do you make the chipotle paste for this Easy Chicken Taco Crock Pot recipe?
Combine Chipotle peppers with spices, onion, and cilantro and then blend into a paste using a blender or food processor.
The can of Chipotle in Adobe sauce has about a dozen chipotle peppers in it. This chipotle tacos recipe uses 3 chilis in the shredded chicken taco meat but I double the paste ingredients to use up the whole can of chipotle peppers. Then I’ll put some in the refrigerator so ole cast-iron stomach can smear more on his Shredded Chicken Tacos and freeze the rest for the next time I want to make these tacos.
IF YOU LIKE READING MY POSTS AND SEEING MY RECIPES, CONNECT WITH ME ON YOUR FAVORITE SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNEL FOR BEHIND THE SCENES PHOTOS AND MUCH, MUCH MORE:
- If you like using avocado in tacos or sandwiches, mash them into a spread. I find that it helps keep all of your goodies in the taco shell or sandwich. Sliced avocado tends to slide right out taking the remaining ingredients with it.
- Cut the carbs and pice it on a taco salad!
- Using slow cooker shredded chicken makes meal prep easy on a busy day. And, it will not heat up the kitchen making it perfect for a summer day.
- Shredded chicken recipes can feed a crowd so are perfect for entertaining. Set up a taco bar!
Garnishes for Chipotle Chicken Tacos:
- Diced Tomato
- Green onion (mild compared to some other varieties)
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce
You may need:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, please see our disclosure.
- Mini Food Processor – I use this little powerhouse for chopping and blending smaller quantities so I don’t have to use my much bigger and heavier food processor.
- Boxed Grater – I grate my own cabbage, lettuce, and cheese. The convenience packages of cheese have non-clumping ingredients and everything tastes so much fresher when you do it yourself. It doesn’t add that much time.
If you like this recipe, please comment below and leave me a 5-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review! Here are a few more recipes I think you’ll love!
- 4-Ingredient Tomatillo Rice
- Chicken Taco Salad Bowl
- Frozen Magic Margarita Pie
- Mexican Street Corn
- Cherry Chipotle Salad Recipe
Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 6 Taco shells
- 3 Chipotle Chilies in Adobo
- 3 tbsp olive oil vegetable or canola is fine too
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp diced onion
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro I use the stems for the paste and the leaves for garnish
- 1 tbsp chile powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Zest of one lime optional
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce avocado, cheese, green onion, tomatoes, lime and cilantro
- Add chicken to the crockpot
- Combine paste ingredients and process in a blender or food processor until thick paste forms.
- Mix the paste with the chicken.
- Pour chicken broth (or water) over the chicken
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or up to 8 hours on low. Shred chicken with two forks. Allow the shredded chicken to sit in the liquid until the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with taco garnishes of your choice.
The only thing that these super easy crock pot tacos need is a great Margarita to go with them!
We still love a good ground beef taco but no longer use that little packet of seasoning. Our Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe is so much better and I always have a big jar of it mixed up.
What is your favorite taco recipe? We do love a great taco so please share!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending some time with me today!