Leftover Prime Rib makes the BEST Hot Beef Sandwich. Piled high with tender, rare prime rib, crispy sauteed vegetables, Italian Seasonings, and melted cheese make this sandwich fit for a King!
THIS POST HAS BEEN UPGRADED FROM 1/18/18 TO IMPROVE READER EXPERIENCE.
Hot Beef Sandwich is the perfect way to repurpose leftover prime rib or roast beef. No one would ever know that your prime rib sandwich wasn’t the only meal you got from that beautiful prime rib dinner.
Leftovers don’t have to play second fiddle when they show up as an Italian Hot Beef Sandwich!
You’ve heard of dumpster diving, right? Well, I’ve been freezer diving! My freezer is so full that I’m getting claustrophobic just thinking about it.
I can stand in front of it and just stare and wonder where in the heck something is hiding. That drives my organized-loving brain crazy!
I’m determined to use up some of the things in my freezer. I’m always experimenting with new recipes but some of our favorite meals are repurposing leftovers.
I knew I had what was left of a prime rib roast from the holidays. John is a big “hot” sandwich guy. I decided that some of this beautiful prime rib was going to be Hot Beef Sandwiches.
John originally cooked this prime rib to perfection. It was rare and so juicy. I’d double wrapped it before putting it in the freezer and once thawed it looked just a pretty as when it went in.
I didn’t want to ruin it by overcooking it. I solved that by sauteing my veggies separately and the only cooking the meat got was the 5 minutes under the broiler while covered with a mound of veggies and cheese! The tastiest protection ever!
How to make an Italian Hot Beef Sandwich
- Sautee vegetables in a skillet over medium-high heat just until they start to soften.
- Drizzle slices of bread with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Assemble the sandwich by placing a thick layer of meat on the bottom slice of bread followed by a layer of sauteed vegetables. Place the cheese over the vegetables.
- Broil the bottom half of the sandwich only for 3 minutes. Add the top slice of the bread olive oil side up and broil and additional 2 minutes.
- Place the top of the bread on the sandwich and serve.
Tip: Placing the cheese over the top of the other ingredients and then broiling it with the top off melts the cheese better and allows the cheese to hold the other ingredients together.
What other cuts of beef make great Hot Beef Sandwiches?
I’ve got to admit that I don’t always have a beautiful prime rib roast languishing in my freezer. More often it’s leftover roast beef. Rump roast or top round can be a tough, marbled piece of meat. When it’s roasted and thinly sliced it can make a delicious Hot Roast Beef Sandwich.
Some of our favorite Hot Sandwich Recipes.
- Baked Chicken Parmesan Meatball Sandwich
- 3 Ingredient Beef Brisket (Crock Pot Recipe)
- Baked Roast Beef Sliders with Horseradish Sauce
- Thai Peanut Chicken Sandwich
- Balsamic Chicken Sandwich
- Corned Beef Sandwich – Another leftover favorite
What is the best kind of bread for a Prime Rib sandwich?
This is totally your choice. I want an equal amount of bread to filling ratio. I feel ripped off when I can’t find the ingredients in my sandwich!
As you can see in this Italian Hot Beef Sandwich picture, the meat to bun is about equal.
Another consideration is to choose a bread that is soft enough to bite through but not so soft that the juices from the meat make it fall apart before you can take a bite.
Products that make this recipe easier to make
Skillet – I prefer stainless steel cookware. It allows me to see how my food is cooking and browning. It cleans up beautifully and is durable.
Don’t forget to Pin this recipe to your favorite Sandwich Board!
We loved the Italian twist on this leftover Prime Rib sandwich. The quick cook time will allow you to get this delicious Leftover Prime Rib sandwich recipe on the table in a jiffy.
Sandwich variations for this Prime Rib Sandwich from leftovers would be to use small buns for Prime Rib Sliders. You can also prepare an au jus and have a French Dip sandwich that would be so amazing.
Side dishes perfect for serving with a Prime rib sandwich
- Cherry Fluff Salad – This salad is the perfect sweet contrast to a savory sandwich.
- Apple Pear Salad with Poppyseed Dressing – Fresh fruit makes a simple but delicious addition to this leftover prime rib recipe.
- Thai Cabbage Slaw – Fresh and crunchy slaw with just the right amount of sweet and heat.
Italian Hot Beef Sandwich Recipe
- 1 lb prime rib thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/2 green pepper sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 slice cheese mozzarella, swiss, havarti. or any melting cheese
- 4 deli rolls or brat rolls
- olive oil extra virgin
- Italian spice blend
- Preheat the oven to the broil setting.
- Drizzle a skillet with extra virgin olive oil and heat on medium-high when hot add green peppers, onion, and mushrooms. Cook until just al dente.
- Assemble the sandwich by brushing the insides of the bread with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkling with Italian herb seasoning. Add meat to the bottom layer. Top with the vegetable mixture and then top with cheese. Place the bottom half of the sandwich only on a pan and broil for 3 minutes.
- Place the top of the roll under the broiler with the bottom, olive oil side up, and continue cooking for another two minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the top of the roll onto the sandwich and serve immediately.
Even after these Hot Beef Sandwiches from leftover prime rib were just a memory, we had enough prime rib for a new SIP recipe! What’s your favorite way to use leftover prime rib?