That leftover Prime Rib or beef roast makes the best Italian Hot Beef Sandwich. You may be making more roast beef just so you can make these sandwiches.
Italian Hot Beef Sandwich is perfect for lunch or a quick and easy dinner. You don’t have to tell anyone that you’re using leftovers!
You’ve heard of dumpster diving, right? Well, I’ve been freezer diving! My freezer is so full and I’m getting claustrophobic just thinking about it. I can stand in front of it and just stare wondering where in the heck something is hiding. That drives my organized-loving brain crazy!
I’m determined to use up some of the things in my freezer. I’m always experimenting with new recipes but some of our favorite meals are repurposing leftovers. I knew I had what was left of a prime rib roast from the holidays. John is a big “hot” sandwich guy. I decided that some of this beautiful prime rib was going to be Italian Hot Beef Sandwiches.
John originally cooked this prime rib to perfection. It was rare and so juicy. I’d double wrapped it before putting it in the freezer and once thawed it looked just a pretty as when it went in. I didn’t want to ruin it by overcooking it. I solved that by sauteing my veggies separately and the only cooking the meat got was the 5 minutes under the broiler while covered with a mound of veggies and cheese! The tastiest protection ever!
Don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later!
Italian Hot Beef Sandwich Recipe
- 1 lb prime rib thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/2 green pepper sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 slice cheese mozzarella, swiss, havarti. or any melting cheese
- 4 deli rolls or brat rolls
- olive oil extra virgin
- Italian spice blend
- Preheat the oven to the broil setting.
- Drizzle a skillet with extra virgin olive oil and heat on medium-high when hot add green peppers, onion, and mushrooms. Cook until just al dente.
- Construct the sandwich by brushing the insides of the bread with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkling with Italian herb seasoning. Add meat the to the bottom layer. Top with the vegetable mixture and then top with cheese. Place bottom half of the sandwich only on a pan and broil for 3 minutes. Place the top of the roll under the broiler with the bottom, olive oil side up, and continue cooking for another two minutes. Remove from the oven and place the top of the roll onto the sandwich and serve immediately.
Even after these sandwiches were just a memory we have enough prime rib for a new SIP recipe! What’s your favorite way to repurpose leftovers?