A Whole Wheat Spinach, Onion and Roasted Red Pepper Bread recipe that is so moist and delicious that you forget it’s healthy
For instance, I generally didn’t date a guy if he was to good looking or a super athlete (I doubt any of them are reading this food blog). In my mind, since I put them on this imaginary pedestal, they probably put themselves there too, and weren’t as nice as the guys I was friends with or did date. Is that a whopper or what?
I am just preparing you for my logic on posting this bread. Yes, it is kind of an ugly loaf, which means it tastes amazing. This bread was made as a part of my Bread Bakers group challenge. Our theme this month is “Summer Bounty”. I put about the whole darned farm into this loaf! I put so much stuff in the dough that it just didn’t want to stay together. I also think that using all whole wheat flour, made the dough less resilient to absorb and contain all of the ingredients.
This bread will not make a great sandwich bread because it is difficult to slice thinly, but it would be delicious to eat on a cheese board or with a salad. This bread was moist, flavorful, and tender but yet firm. So, I guess if I were to date a loaf of bread, it would be a match made in heaven.
By the way, I met my husband at the age of 19, in college. He was nice, smart, gorgeous, and a great athlete. Who knew!
- ¾ cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- ¼ cup olive oil (divided)
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (divided)
- 6 oz package of baby spinach (remove stems and slice thinly)
- 1 cup onion, diced finely
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, diced (I used jarred fire roasted sweet red bell peppers)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, diced finely
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup cheddar, diced into small pieces
- In a medium size bowl, combine water, honey, 1 teaspoon of salt and sprinkle yeast over the top. Let set for 15 minutes to foam. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and then sift in 1 cup of the whole wheat flour and mix until combined. Set aside for 45-60 minutes or until it has a sponge-like texture.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and saute onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add peppers, thyme, garlic and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir in the spinach and cook until the spinach is soft. Pour the lemon juice over the mixture. Drain the spinach mixture in a colander set over a bowl to catch the drippings.
- In a large bowl, add two cups sifted whole wheat flour. Make a well and pour the spongy mixture into the well. Knead for 10 minutes, adding enough of the cooking liquid to make it pliable yet firm. Transfer to the oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 2 hours.
- Add cheddar cheese and mix for 1 minute. Add spinach mixture and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup whole wheat flour. Mix together quickly. Dough will be moist and loose. Don't knead again. Form into an oblong loaf and place the dough on a well oiled or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let proof for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the bread for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for another 30 minutes. Cover last 10 minutes with aluminum foil if bread gets to brown.
Breads using Summer Bounty
- Almond and Carrot Biscuits from Basic N Delicious
- Bellpepper, Tomato and Brinjal Stuffed Flower Bread from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Cheddar Mielie Bread with Sun-Dried Tomatoes from Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Bread Pudding from Bakers and Best
- Eggless Rosemary Garlic Dinner Rolls from Spill the Spices
- Garden Herb Foccacia from My Catholic Kitchen
- Herb and Cheese Biscuits from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Herb and Cheese Grissini from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Herbed Butterflaps from Sneha’s Recipe
- Herbed Cornbread Muffins from From Gate to Plate
- Herbs, Spinach and Cheese Bourekas from Cooking Club
- Jalapeño Summer Squash Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Mango Kolache from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Peach & Blueberry Meringue Pull Apart Bread from Passion Kneaded
- Peach Pull-Apart Bread from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Peaches and Cream Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pizza Cipolla from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Rosemary and Garlic Fougasse from Spice Roots
- Rosemary Breadsticks from A Baker’s House
- Soda Bread with Thyme and Olives from La Cocina de Aisha
- Spinach Semolina Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Studded Zucchini Yeast Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Sundried Tomato Focaccia with Sauteed Summer Veggies & Garden Salad from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Tomato, Onion, Parmesan Foccacia from Noshing With The Nolands
- Walnut Oat Crumble Courgette Bread from Baking in Pyjamas
- Wholewheat Onion, Spinach & Red Pepper Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Wholewheat Zucchini Bread from Cook’s Hideout
- Zucchini Oatmeal Bread from Cali’s Cuisine
- Zucchini/Jalapeño/Cheese Corn Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here.
Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.